Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having issues with my 3 year old Zappi recently. Only since the last firmware update. I was in contact with Myenergi this morning and was told that as my original Zappi was a type 1 cable and I had it changed to type 2 it wouldn't work and my Warranty was made invalid. This is all academic in a way because it is out of warranty anyway but I recall being told at the time by the tech at Myenergi (the only one there in those days) that I could change the tethered cable. Seems to me the rules have been changed?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have been having issues with my 3 year old Zappi recently. Only since the last firmware update. I was in contact with Myenergi this morning and was told that as my original Zappi was a type 1 cable and I had it changed to type 2 it wouldn't work and my Warranty was made invalid. This is all academic in a way because it is out of warranty anyway but I recall being told at the time by the tech at Myenergi (the only one there in those days) that I could change the tethered cable. Seems to me the rules have been changed?
Sounds like a pathetic excuse from MyEnergi. Shame them into sorting the issue. Twitter?

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
If your original Type-1 was a 3.3 kW system, I can't see any reason a Type 2 plug won't work, but you may still be limited to the 3.3 kW 16A max as the contactors etc may not take a 7kW 32A current. I don't think there's any difference in the signalling protocol down the CP wire, or any difference in the cable-current-sensing resistance settings on the PP wire at the EVSE end. The PP resistance at the car-plug end changes, as there's the trigger mechanism that doesn't exist in Type 2, and which alters the resistance when yo pull the trigger, so tellng the car to stop charging. But that's entirely seen by the car, and is local to the car's plug at that end, and isn't seen by the EVSE at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I’d be looking at the cable capacity resistor. Type 2 untethered cables have a resistor in the plug that signals to the controller what current the cable can carry. Even though with a tethered cable that value is fixed because you always use the same cable, the controller will still be looking for it. There should be a resistor between PP and PE. Standard values are 680 ohms for 20A and 220 ohms for 32A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts