Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times and the research has already been done.

I've upgraded to a new Nissan leaf and I need to change my connector from a Type 1 to a Type 2. How is the best (and cheapest!) way of doing this.

My neighbour is a qualified electrician and has volunteered to help if I get the right bits.

Questions!

1. Shall I buy a new connector or a tethered cable?
2. If I open the pod point and change the connector will Pod Point have some way of knowing that still requires me to pay them hundreds of pounds?!
3. Will someone want to buy my old type 1 connector and where is best to advertise?

Thank you! Really appreciate any help.

Ben :)

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
The stock answer is ' open podpoint disconnect the 5 wires, remove charging lead, replace with new type 2 charging lead"

Ask your electrician if he has a hydraulic crimper. If yes, purchase just the type 2 plug and ask him to change it. EvBitz sell good quality type 2 connectors. There are other cheaper by £5 pound ones in the internet but harder to fit.

The stock answer is normally given by folk who just don't know how to crimp the terminals or who have never done the job.

There is no intelligence in the cable, the EVSE will never know you have changed the connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock answer is ' open podpoint disconnect the 5 wires, remove charging lead, replace with new type 2 charging lead"

Ask your electrician if he has a hydraulic crimper. If yes, purchase just the type 2 plug and ask him to change it. EvBitz sell good quality type 2 connectors. There are other cheaper by £5 pound ones in the internet but harder to fit.

The stock answer is normally given by folk who just don't know how to crimp the terminals or who have never done the job.

There is no intelligence in the cable, the EVSE will never know you have changed the connector.
Absolute legend!
Perfect answer.

Thank you so much

B

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
359 Posts
The other option is to buy a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor cable, e.g: -

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue after changing from an old style LEAF to an MG. I bought one of these on Amazon and it arrived yesterday. One end plugs securely in to the Type 2 charging port on the car and your tethered Type 1 lead goes in to the other. I put it on for an overnight charge and it's worked fine. Nothing has melted or caught fire and the car is sitting on 100%. £80 is probably a bit dear for what it is, but it's a lot cheaper than the other options.
1594534072690.png

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's quite easy do change the lead. I recently did it on my Pod Point.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,870 Posts
Or who don't own a suitable hydraulic crimping tool. :rolleyes: The one off cost can't be justified along with the correct security bits to open the plugs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times and the research has already been done.

I've upgraded to a new Nissan leaf and I need to change my connector from a Type 1 to a Type 2. How is the best (and cheapest!) way of doing this.

My neighbour is a qualified electrician and has volunteered to help if I get the right bits.

Questions!

1. Shall I buy a new connector or a tethered cable?
2. If I open the pod point and change the connector will Pod Point have some way of knowing that still requires me to pay them hundreds of pounds?!
3. Will someone want to buy my old type 1 connector and where is best to advertise?

Thank you! Really appreciate any help.

Ben :)
Hi We had this problem when we changed our leaf and what I did was buy a type 2. 32 amp tethered lead on e-bay and I just changed them over wire for wire, ( I did now what I was doing). GT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same issue after changing from an old style LEAF to an MG. I bought one of these on Amazon and it arrived yesterday. One end plugs securely in to the Type 2 charging port on the car and your tethered Type 1 lead goes in to the other. I put it on for an overnight charge and it's worked fine. Nothing has melted or caught fire and the car is sitting on 100%. £80 is probably a bit dear for what it is, but it's a lot cheaper than the other options.
View attachment 132304
The exact same one is availble on aliexpress for under £50.00, if you don't mind the slow delivery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts