Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I live in Jordan and recently bought a Korean spec Hyundai Kona electric 64KWh

In Jordan 🇯🇴, we comply with the European standards so every BEV imported by the dealers should support type 2 as the available charging stations uses type 2 and CCS type 2.
The car I bought has a type 1 charging socket meaning I won’t be able to fast charge in the stations unless I have a CCS type 2 to CCS type 1 adapter cable which costs more than 900$ and stations here won’t allow their usage☹

Is it possible to change the socket type itself on the car to the other standard using aftermarket parts?

In technical terms will this work? Is there modifications that’s needed for the on-board Charger? Has anyone ever tried to do something like this? Does anyone know where to get the service manual in order to check on the wiring in regards to the socket.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I guess you bought the wrong car????

Can a dealer help you??

You have the 7 year warranty that you wish to retain????

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
You don't need the whole of that plug. That plug is for rapid charging and is called a CCS (Combined Charge System) and is for rapid charging (on a journey and such) The type 1/type 2 that you mention is for home or destination charging and is a lot slower than CCS. Type 2 looks like the top part of the CCS (the D shaped plug) have a look at your car and you will find a CCS charge point on it and it will be the D shape at the top (type 2) that you will use for
home charging. Type 1 looks like this
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
@Neilew The "combined" bit of CCS is the clue. There is CCS Type 1 and CCS Type 2, combining either a Type 1 or Type 2 socket with the two extra pins for DC rapid charging. Since the OP has bought a Type 1 car (as it turns out by mistake), its CCS socket won't accommodate a Type 2 CCS plug, which is what rapid chargers in Jordan will be equipped with.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Type 1 has a different means for handling the proximity pilot signal plus locking. There might be a bodge or two to sort that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys!
I live in Jordan and recently bought a Korean spec Hyundai Kona electric 64KWh

In Jordan 🇯🇴, we comply with the European standards so every BEV imported by the dealers should support type 2 as the available charging stations uses type 2 and CCS type 2.
The car I bought has a type 1 charging socket meaning I won’t be able to fast charge in the stations unless I have a CCS type 2 to CCS type 1 adapter cable which costs more than 900$ and stations here won’t allow their usage☹

Is it possible to change the socket type itself on the car to the other standard using aftermarket parts?

In technical terms will this work? Is there modifications that’s needed for the on-board Charger? Has anyone ever tried to do something like this? Does anyone know where to get the service manual in order to check on the wiring in regards to the socket.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated
Can you post a picture of your charging port on here so we can see the issue? It just seems odd that your car doesn’t have a CCS-combo port for fast and rapid charging. Is it possible there is more than one charging flap on your car?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you post a picture of your charging port on here so we can see the issue? It just seems odd that your car doesn’t have a CCS-combo port for fast and rapid charging. Is it possible there is more than one charging flap on your car?
I think the point is it does - but it's a Type 1 CCS. OP is asking if it is possible to change to a Type 2 CCS.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,101 Posts
CCS isn't the same around the world. CCS charging standard just combines the AC and DC connectors together, but doesn't mean that the AC connector will be the same in all countries.

It will look like the picture I've attached below most likely. This is the same as what I've seen on the EVs that I drive in thr US. Type 1 connector with the DC below it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there people standing over you checking..? Just sayin'..;)

You could probably order and fit the original Hyundai Type 2 port assembly, though probably cheaper to use a third-party one.

Sadly at every station there’s someone watching over to prevent you from using adapters😒 (some stations reported having problems when using aftermarket adapters and banned them)
I will look into the type 2 assembly but wanted to know if it’s technically possible

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
CCS isn't the same around the world. CCS charging standard just combines the AC and DC connectors together, but doesn't mean that the AC connector will be the same in all countries.

It will look like the picture I've attached below most likely. This is the same as what I've seen on the EVs that I drive in thr US. Type 1 connector with the DC below it.

View attachment 129756 ,

Yup, exactly like the ones found in the US cars

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Neilew The "combined" bit of CCS is the clue. There is CCS Type 1 and CCS Type 2, combining either a Type 1 or Type 2 socket with the two extra pins for DC rapid charging. Since the OP has bought a Type 1 car (as it turns out by mistake), its CCS socket won't accommodate a Type 2 CCS plug, which is what rapid chargers in Jordan will be equipped with.

Currently I’m using a 32Amp charger for home use capable of charging up to 7KWh
But also having the capability of rapid charging at stations (up to 50KWh) is important

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
If you fit the type 2 CCS socket, you will need to think about how to fool the proximity pilot logic. Try and get hold of the wiring diagrams for the cars, you may have to pay for access.

Off on a tangent, Chademo is a worldwide standard and this little example illustrates why that is desirable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@freddym, thanks for your input!
I’ll see if I can get a day pass to access the workshop manual, Other than checking the wiring diagram around the socket is there anything else that I should look into?
Are you sure that the type 1 proximity pilot differs from type 2?
Thank you so much, your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
21 Posts
Currently I’m using a 32Amp charger for home use capable of charging up to 7KWh
But also having the capability of rapid charging at stations (up to 50KWh) is important
Thanks for the information. I was labouring under the misapprehension that CCS was a global standard with just the Type 2 style connector and the two DC connectors. I had not realised there was such a thing as a Combo 1 CCS connector that uses a Type 1 connector.

In answer to your original question, I think you would need to take it to a local Hyundai dealer and see if they could change this for you. I don’t think it is something you should try doing as the charging port is part of the High Voltage system of your car and you would need to have general HV training as well as specific training on the Kona before you could safely work on it. Also it may need some other changes besides physically changing the port, such as software changes or updates. Of course the worst case scenario is they won’t or can’t help, in which case you Would need to sell it to someone who either doesn’t need to rapid charge or else sell it to someone in a country that does have Type 2 CCS rapid chargers, and get another Kona that has the Type 2 Combo port.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Type 2 has a locking function on the car side.

Type 1 has a microswitch in the charging gun. That microswitch shuts down the onboard charger. You will need to reprogram the cars software or make a workaround.

You could isolate the HV battery, do safety voltage checks and then strip out existing socket wiring. Obviously much better to do this with new parts in your hand plus wiring diagrams.

Stay safe, make sure 12v and HV batteries are totally isolated before commencing any work.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that CCS could come with a type 1 component. Only ever seen type 2. You will note that the plug, socket and cable he has shown has a type 2 attachment. Hence my not considering it had type 1.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
What you don't say in your original post is how you acquired the car, and how and why you bought a Type 1 car in a Type 2 country. I don't know if Jordan has "fit for purpose" laws, but if you bought it from a dealer you could return it as not fit for purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts