Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What you don't say in your original post is how you acquired the car, and how and why you bought a Type 1 car in a Type 2 country. I don't know if Jordan has "fit for purpose" laws, but if you bought it from a dealer you could return it as not fit for purpose.
This car was imported from Korea (Korea uses type 1 just like the US), and frankly it was a bargain. The locally imported cars by the dealer has the type 2 charging port and a new Kona from the dealer costs around a whopping 60000$!! (customs in Jordan are f***ked up) That one had a 33000$ price tag and with 5000KM odometer with minor damage to the body but nothing critical.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
OP, re practicality of changing your charging socket, have you tried getting your hands on the Hyundai part. Do you have a part number. I'm wondering if the cables will be crimped into the back of the socket and you will need to exchange the entire loom that comes with the socket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Before embarking on a potentially complicated task, ask yourself whether, with the Kona's huge range, you actually need to fast charge
This car drives around 200Km to 350Km on a daily basis as It’s being used in Uber by 2 drivers. We are managing just fine with the 7KW home charger but having the ability to quick charge 80% of the battery capacity in a short amount of time is critical and beneficial for certain scenarios

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OP, re practicality of changing your charging socket, have you tried getting your hands on the Hyundai part. Do you have a part number. I'm wondering if the cables will be crimped into the back of the socket and you will need to exchange the entire loom that comes with the socket?
I’ve found this from the parts manual where it shows the part number of the charging port but couldn’t find the wiring loom

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If you're really lucky they will have added an extra coding pin to the loom for the connector, to tell the software if it's a CCS 1 or CCS 2 connector and it will deal with it appropriately. Most firmware writers like to have universal code so updates only have to be tested once, having said that you might find that the VIN number or serial number for the car tells the firmware which region it's made for and hence which type of charging connector is fitted.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
View attachment 129782 I’ve found this from the parts manual where it shows the part number of the charging port but couldn’t find the wiring loom
The fact that the parts list shows the charging port as a separate part and not integral with the wiring loom is a plus. Hopefully the existing wiring loom can be reused and fitted to the new charging port. Then with a workaround for the proximity pilot it might work.

Try hunting on the net for anyone that's posted on converting a type 1 car to a type 2 car. It will be the same issue regardless of the CCS DC connectors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.