Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the standard tyres very noisey at times and I wondered if anyone had changed their standard tyres to replacements here in the UK?

If so, what did you replace them with and was it worth while?

How much did you pay?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one.

I seem to have a slow puncture in one of my tyres and I'll take it round to the local tyre place later in the hope they can patch it, but if they can't does anyone know (a) what availability is likely to be on the original tyres supplied on the car, and if not readily available (b) what would be a good alternative?

·
Registered
558 Posts
The original Michelin energy savers have now been replaced with energy saver+ but there doesn't seem to be any visible diference in the tyres. Just about everywhere sells these in the UK. I ordered online through Asda when I changed one on my Audi.
It's worth checking there isn't a specific rim type for the Ampera as I fitted a generic bead energy saver+ to my Audi and it made the car sway about so badly I needed two lanes to go over 60 mph. I changed the tyre to the same but with Audi AOS1 bead type and the swaying disappeared.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm hoping it will be another year or so before I need to change my tyres, but I find the OEM Michelin tyres do a pretty good job.
What sort of mileage have you got to @Duncan ?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm hoping it will be another year or so before I need to change my tyres, but I find the OEM Michelin tyres do a pretty good job.
What sort of mileage have you got to @Duncan ?
I'm a couple of hundred short of 27,000. I think the tread is still ok but as I haven't worked out where the leak is I just want to be prepared for them refusing to repair it.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
558 Posts
For the last two years we have had bluemotion golfs at work with the Michelin energy savers on and they regularly did 45000 miles on the front tyres before they needed changing. They where very quiet on the Golfs and on my A3 as well so are well suited to the Ampera with it's open boot IMO.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I got just shy of 60k out the Michelin green energy tyres on my last car (Volvo V50), so am hopeful for similar on the Ampera. As the extra weight is offset by the fact I am generally kinder to it, than I ever was the Volvo !

·
Registered
612 Posts
Another vote for Goodyear EfficientGrip. My previous car was a Hyundai and I threw away the Hankooks it came with in favour of the Goodyears, to quieten it down. I may do the same thing on my Leaf come the spring.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'd recommend looking at Bridgestone Ecopia's too.

The Michelin EV tyre is rumoured to only last low mileages, with some reviewers giving them just 4,500 miles on the front of a car.

Another tyre with a low rolling resistance is the Goodyear Efficientgrip. They are quiet, energy efficient, and excellent in the wet. I've had them on an ICE for a number of years, and they only cost around £57 a corner in 205/55 R16 guise.
They must be rumours, as i'v done 14562 miles and still have the same Michelin EV tyres, but they are very soft and there £82 each

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It seems I don't have to worry about new tyres just yet. There was a screw in the tyre but it was repairable. £20.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Prior to booking my MOT I just had a good look at my tyres and concluded that the front ones need replacing: I was a bit concerned that the tread seemed to be cracking on the outside of the driver side tyre so asked my wife for a second opinion and she pointed out that never mind the driver side the passenger tyre is showing the layer under the rubber.
:oops:

@daved's suggestion of the Michelin Energy Saver+ doesn't seem to work, as far as I can tell from the Michelin website they don't do it in the same size as the current tyres (Michelin website recommends Primacy 3 or CrossClimate for the Volt). Maybe the Goodyear though they don't list my local tyre place as a stockists and I like to support the village shops.

Edit: apparently they can get the exact same Michelin Energy Saver tyres as current ones so I'll be heading back this afternoon to have them fitted.

Oh, and in case you're wondering:

Reactions: Lee Dalton
1 - 13 of 13 Posts