Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Channel 4 Dispatches wants to hear from you!

We would like to hear your stories about your experiences with charging stations in the UK.
What is the charging point you know of that has been out of service for the longest time?
Have you ever run out of charge due to a charging station not working?

Please share your experiences by sending an email to [email protected]

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
747 Posts
Charnock Richard Services, Ecotricity hasn't worked for me in 2.5 years, hoping Gridserve will rip it out soon! Apparently it does work for Leaf on Chademo but the fussy Zoe requires a good earth and this charger sucks. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Until they replaced them there were a set of PodPoint 7kW chargers in a council car park near me that had been out of service for about 7 years. Someone ran into them and nobody ever bothered to replace it.

And then like magic the council installed 4 sets of these in all of the car parks brand new and they work great. It only took, well, 7 years. Still no rapid charging provision here which would be useful for battery electric-vehicles.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
What is the charging point you know of that has been out of service for the longest time?
The rapid charger at Metrocentre in the Green car park (Gateshead, Tyne and Wear) - Huge and popular location. Loads of visitors and right alongside the A1... Broken since June 2015!

If you're looking for one particular name, you'll see that BP Pulse and their sub brand CYC (Charge your Car) will be the company that pops up so regularly. They're a shockingly bad network with seemingly no interest in their business. I can only assume they're deliberately ruining the state of EV Charging to let them keep selling more petrol for longer.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Q1 I don’t know how long charging stations are out of service for. If I find out that one isn’t working (either on apps like ZapMap or by physically turning up) I just go to another. I don’t then tend to keep tabs on when it becomes available again.

Q2 No. I have never ran out of charge.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
You might want to contact the EVANI - Electric Vehicle Association NI about the terrible state of charging in NI, although that might fill a whole program.
Its still free though and helps with the limited choice of Electric providers as well back home.

When it starts costing you money you'll soon see less hogging and thus better availability but its a much more solid network than EH used to be. Desti posts are another matter and there is no real competition due to the rates over there being higher than the mainland and more faff with permissions...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Not sure that identifying individual chargers that have not worked for a long time, perhaps due to some legitimate reason is the best way to highlight the issue. The real scandal is that public money has been spent on chargers that are not maintained or available to the general public for long periods. There are hundred's of destination chargers out there that just need to be reset or minor works to become useful once more.

Sometimes the problem is with compatiblity between the charger and the car, or with payment methods. I'm yet to get a successful charge at the new Gridserve Wetherby Services in 3 visits despite them being brand new units that evidently work for some users.

I always check zapmap and plugshare before chancing unfamilar chargers and have always managed to find an alternative to avoid being stranded. The worst experiences I have had have been at single working rapids where another car has been abandoned for more than an hour.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38
38 Posts
Channel 4 Dispatches wants to hear from you!

We would like to hear your stories about your experiences with charging stations in the UK.

Please share your experiences below, or feel free to send an email to [email protected]
Can I ask who is funding your programme? and also is it going to be another EV bashing programme, as C4 have a lot of sponsorship from Toyota who are against EV's and prefer Hydrogen??? (just look at their campaigning in the US )

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I'm yet to get a successful charge at the new Gridserve Wetherby Services in 3 visits despite them being brand new units that evidently work for some users.
I've had 5 successful charges on my Kona from 2 different units there now. But on one occasion shortly after plugging in got a big bang followed by all the chargers going dead. Obviously tripped a fuse. Gridserve do need to do a bit of work to perfect their new installs, but the Electric Highway is already looking a lot brighter than it did in the Ecotricity days.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sounds like you are going to produce an extremely biased and inaccurate programme to me.

You start by asking people for their "experiences of owning and charging their EV" But qualify this with "whats the bad bits, what chargers are out of comission" etc....

Doesn't sound like a programe that intends to produce a balanced view.

There are problems with the network, but they are easily overcome and I for one haven't had much trouble - the benefits of the EV outweigh the minor inconveniences....

But more EV bashing won't help anyone

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
747 Posts
Can I ask who is funding your programme? and also is it going to be another EV bashing programme, as C4 have a lot of sponsorship from Toyota who are against EV's and prefer Hydrogen??? (just look at their campaigning in the US )
Yeah but even Toyota don't believe in Hydrogen, they are only predicting 5% of cars running on Hydrogen by 2050!!!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I've had 5 successful charges on my Kona from 2 different units there now. But on one occasion shortly after plugging in got a big bang followed by all the chargers going dead. Obviously tripped a fuse. Gridserve do need to do a bit of work to perfect their new installs, but the Electric Highway is already looking a lot brighter than it did in the Ecotricity days.
I do hope and believe that chargers at Motorway Services will be much better under Gridserve than Ecotricity after teething problems are ironed out, but at the moment my limited experience does not support that view. Lets hope it is just temporary and that the much vaunted hubs when they arrive do deliver a great experience.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
819 Posts
Rapid Charger in Waitrose car park Lichfield. Out of order for at least 3 years. Dispute as to who is responsible for repairs . It was installed by a grant to a LA I believe and they haven't paid for repairs and waitrose I believe say it isn't theirs. Good location for trips from the South to Derby and the North and just off the M6 Toll.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts