Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy Martin explores the world of electric vehicles and attempts to set a new world record for the fastest road-legal battery vehicle, driving on a quarter-mile drag strip. The vehicle he chooses is a classic Volkswagen Beetle fitted with state-of-the-art Tesla technology, that allows the lightweight 50-year-old classic to accelerate faster than most supercars. He also sets off on a 1100-mile road trip to determine how reliable the country's vehicle charging infrastructure is.
The drag race bit doesn't particularly appeal to me, but the road trip bit should be interesting, especially to see what mis-information is out there.

Channel 4 9-Aug-2021 9.00-10.30pm

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,741 Posts
Great, I’ll get my bingo card ready.

Guy will get stuck at an old Electric Highway pump, plug into the AC side and wonder why it says 14 hours to charge. After he’s struggled for 40 minutes with the app.

There will be an Outlander on it when he arrives.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Guy is ok I met him years ago at my other halves brother BBQ its all about entertainment, he is an EV fan so enjoy it for what it is

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great, I’ll get my bingo card ready.

Guy will get stuck at an old Electric Highway pump, plug into the AC side and wonder why it says 14 hours to charge. After he’s struggled for 40 minutes with the app.

There will be an Outlander on it when he arrives.
Ionity charging at no more than 35kW priced at 69p/kWh.

·
Registered
837 Posts
But the public charging scenario is pretty accurate. I have been driving EVs for years and virtually given up on the public chargers. When it works I see it as a perk, apart from the supercharger, that’s how it’s supposed to work.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
451 Posts
Either the Ioniq 5 is terribly inefficient or else he doesn't know how to drive an EV, should have at least 250 miles, by which time he should have stopped for brew

·
Registered
85 Posts
A bit disappointing to see him finish up by saying don’t buy an electric car for another two years unless your longest journey is 50 miles from home. That patently crap.
He's kinda right though. Public charging is a disaster and you have to be pretty committed to the cause/a planner to put up with the current situation of having a plan B-E should plan A fail on your long distance journey atm. Things should improve a great deal with new chargepoint installations over the next couple of years and more longer range EVs available, plus Tesla will hopefully have opened up the supercharger network by then.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,349 Posts
I wasn't happy at all. The usual Clarksonesque approach to motoring TV as if having the fastest road legal car is a matter of concern for most people. If he really wanted to break this drag racing record, anyone with an ounce of sense would have started with a better donor car.
As for his trip, he assumed the quoted range was what he would get and then found his planned stop was beyond reach. Moaning about Ionity chargers as if they represent the usual cost and moaning that his car did not charge fast enough.
I really hate this sort of TV and wished I hadn't bothered.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
He's kinda right though. Public charging is a disaster and you have to be pretty committed to the cause/a planner to put up with the current situation of having a plan B-E should plan A fail on your long distance journey atm.
I guess you’re right. I must confess I haven’t used on-route public chargers, as I’ve been able to use Superchargers. And that did influence my choice of car. And hopefully he is right that it will be a lot different in a couple of years time. I think it under sold the current crop of EVs though.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
Either the Ioniq 5 is terribly inefficient or else he doesn't know how to drive an EV, should have at least 250 miles, by which time he should have stopped for brew
He's a racer. so sitting at 65-70mphh to maximise range was never going to happen.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My main takeaway from it is that Electric Classic Cars is doing something with what appears to be a Lamborghini Countach bodyshell. If that's not a replica, the Lambo community is going to be incensed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Ioniq 5 is pretty inefficient, especially at higher speeds. Bjorn Nyland got 180 miles out of it on his 75 mph highway test on a dry 21 degree summer’s day, effectively what this guy Guy got on his first run to Gretna. 27 hours to do a 1,100 mile return trip though, wouldn’t be far off that in my old Zoe. Should’ve just used a model 3 LR. Would’ve been a doddle

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
My main takeaway from it is that Electric Classic Cars is doing something with what appears to be a Lamborghini Countach bodyshell. If that's not a replica, the Lambo community is going to be incensed.
Have you not watched their series on Dave/Quest ? (can't remember which)

They've done quite a few conversions and you have to admire their expertise.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,493 Posts
My shortest journey at the moment is 55 miles regularly. I guess I'm in a parallel universe. Not had a car that wouldn't do that all year with a reasonable buffer since the kia 27.

I have recorded it. I'm not sure I should bother watching it. His one on AI self driving cars was interesting though.

Charging speeds being nothing like advertised and range being nothing like advertised is a constant complaint and one which catches many new owners out. Having manufacturers produce realistic range and charging information isn't too much to ask really.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have you not watched their series on Dave/Quest ? (can't remember which)

They've done quite a few conversions and you have to admire their expertise.
I've seen a few of them in person, I love them. But it's one thing to convert a DeLorean or Beetle, neither of which are renowned for their powerplants... And even the controversial Ferrari 308 project was ultimately using a not particularly well-loved V8 model with a production run over 10,000.

But the Countach is rare and iconic, and is built around a massive, storied V12. They start at £300k and regularly place highly at prestige concourses. Having spent time in that community, I know there will be some very pissed off people if that's an original body.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts