Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.chargeatmyhouse.com/

Slightly surprised to see Chargemaster partnering on this as it may compete with their revenue stream. Unless they are only interested in short term income from grants....;)

Still, quite like the idea of an increased informal network of public charging. Ideally 32 amp and I suspect most put in by non ev owners will be 16 amp. But potentially helpful as it is just plugs and sockets...no cards etc

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
So essentially that's the OLEV wanting to spend their budget to get more future budget, and Chargemaster wanting that budget spent with them.

Potential downside is its further encouraging non-EV owners to install monitored equipment that they don't need at the taxpayers expense. Usage stats will say it's low (so that reflects badly on EV take up), it WILL NOT add significant value to their properties, and in a few years may be old tech anyway that a serious EV user/prospective buyer will want removed and/or upgraded.

An actual user-generated, user supported, EV-centric version of this would be great. I think this is basically what PlugShare is?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Paul said:
An actual user-generated, user supported, EV-centric version of this would be great. I think this is basically what PlugShare is?
With the difference that this has a commercial angle - charge whilst you rent my driveway.

PlugShare is a neat idea but the UK doesn't seem as keen as states like California to invite random EV drivers to charge at a strangers house. We have 11 locations across the UK , a city like San Diego has more than double that.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I wonder what the law is on renting out driving spaces and charging for electricity (reselling) on a private property in the UK, and the insurance implications, tax from income and other factors?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I wonder what the law is on renting out driving spaces and charging for electricity (reselling) on a private property in the UK, and the insurance implications, tax from income and other factors?
I presume it would come under the tax allowance of renting a spare room. Something like £4500 per year tax free.
Where I think it gets dodgy, is that to rent your driveway, doesn't that technically make you liable for business rates as it becomes a change of use for planning purposes.?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I presume it would come under the tax allowance of renting a spare room. Something like £4500 per year tax free.
Where I think it gets dodgy, is that to rent your driveway, doesn't that technically make you liable for business rates as it becomes a change of use for planning purposes.?
That's what I wondered, plus what about the electricity part. You'd probably need insurance too, and it's a high powered charger, even if we "know" they're safe. Liability for the car as well, if it's damaged while charging? No idea, just thinking it through.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I would assume that if you are not directly charging for the electricity, then you can whack a big disclaimer on the charger telling people that if they chose to stick their tongue across the terminals they do so at their own risk.
Insurance liability would be fine, it is covered under the car owners insurance, the same as any other car park.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree with the downsides Paul.

Ultimately if ev's are the success we believe they will be then level 2 charging will be available at most places we go to...with friends and family adopting ev's and increased work use. Added to increased range I think future public charging will be relatively unimportant

If in the meantime the government spends our money unwisely on public charging this option at least may have some use for some of us sometimes.

But yes. Plugshare is better.

And anyone needing free charging in Telford any time...message me :)

So essentially that's the OLEV wanting to spend their budget to get more future budget, and Chargemaster wanting that budget spent with them.

Potential downside is its further encouraging non-EV owners to install monitored equipment that they don't need at the taxpayers expense. Usage stats will say it's low (so that reflects badly on EV take up), it WILL NOT add significant value to their properties, and in a few years may be old tech anyway that a serious EV user/prospective buyer will want removed and/or upgraded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts