Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have three charging cables with my Ampera - which are type 1 cables.
I am buying a new type 2 car soonish (I put a deposit down on a Kia eNiro)
Can I convert* the type 1 to type 2 cables?

All are 32 Amp Cables. 1 * Coiled cable, 1 * Straight Cable and 1 * Ohme Cable (that I don't really use with the Ampera as it doesn't communicate well)

*By convert I mean get someone to cut off the type 1 ends and build on proper type 2 ends. I do not mean by using a Type1 to Type 2 converter cable.

Sean

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I don't see why not. When I had a faulty cable I got in touch with this guy to pick his brains but due to it being the cable and hard to actually locate the break we came to the conclusion that I would be better off buying a new cable. He does plug swaps too.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
how much is a new cable? Doesnt seem worthwhile to pay 90quid to swap the end. Need to consider the cost of sellling the type 1 leads and buying new type2 leads?

·
Registered
227 Posts
how much is a new cable? Doesnt seem worthwhile to pay 90quid to swap the end. Need to consider the cost of sellling the type 1 leads and buying new type2 leads?
Still needs to get someone to do it. Unless Martin's his next door neighbor £90 is an absolute steal.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
£90 for one new end, Vs £150 for an entirely new cable... I'd personally go with the new cable. You'll sell the old one for the difference easily and it means you have a whole new cable which should last a bit longer.

Maybe for the ohme it makes more sense, but I suspect it's still swings in favour of the new lead as you can probably sell the existing ohme for 150, and modifying it will void it's warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts