Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I'm a new Niro EV 4 owner and have just got around to charging it after a 200+ mile first drive.
I have a Rolec 32amp wall charger at home and have plugged my car into it. It's charging fine but I found that the cable locks at car end but not at the wall end. As a result I can unplug from the wall which then unlocks the cable from the car. The result is anyone can steal my charging cable. Makes no difference whether I lock my car or not.

I used to have a Mercedes C350e hybrid and when charging that, the cable would lock at both ends and only unlock when I unlocked the car.

Is this normal for the Niro or do you think I have a fault? Other than that I've just had a fantastic drive in it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,866 Posts
First, you can change the behaviour of your Niro (if it is anything like my Soul) about the cable lock. You need to go into settings on your dash, and look for Convenience. I think the Soul, has 3 options: Always, While charging and Do not lock. Set is as Always if you want the same behaviour as your Merc.

You will need to check your wallbox for issues, it seems like it might be malfunctioning. If under warranty, get the manufacturer?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked and there's no such option on mine.
Did see a button that said auto sched or something. Turned that off but it made no difference either

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is a cable locking button on the set of button below right of steering wheel, where the vess button is. I believe without checking one button is for locking cable

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup just tried that but didn't make a difference. I'll check again later. Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will need to check your wallbox for issues, it seems like it might be malfunctioning. If under warranty, get the manufacturer?
You will find that upon latest Rolec EVWP2026 there is no longer a lock on wallpod cable end as it was prone to failure. At start of charging an electromagnet shot a bolt downwards extending an attached spring so when power removed it should retract pin automatically. However a component costing pence could fail with result that end of bolt fell down under gravity into plug recess locking car cable to wallpod entailing complete disassemly of wallpod or leave car cable out in the rain as I found out. OP is lucky that this hasn't happened here and unit still usable.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. My wall unit is 4 years old. Used it daily for 3 years and never encountered a problem. Perhaps in my case the electromagnet is not working. I'll get it checked. But still, if the wall end is unlocked either because of a fault or be design, the car end should remain locked until I unlock the car shouldn't it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a cable locking button on the set of button below right of steering wheel, where the vess button is. I believe without checking one button is for locking cable
Got it. That did the trick. Doesn't seem to be any light or indicator that tells you what the current position is. Anyway pressed it once and now the car end remains locked until I actually unlock the car.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting. My wall unit is 4 years old. Used it daily for 3 years and never encountered a problem. Perhaps in my case the electromagnet is not working. I'll get it checked. But still, if the wall end is unlocked either because of a fault or be design, the car end should remain locked until I unlock the car shouldn't it?
Glad that you've sorted your issue, my unit was about this old when failed but still don't know whether somebody tried forcibly to remove cable or not. Whilst locking module can be replaced if still available, Rolec do not make it easy as secured by tamperproof Torx bolts and no marking as to which cable is +ve or -ve so you have to work it out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got it. That did the trick. Doesn't seem to be any light or indicator that tells you what the current position is. Anyway pressed it once and now the car end remains locked until I actually unlock the car.
Many thanks.
There is a light on button. When lit it's on Auto and will unlock charge cable when finished charging. This allows public chargers not to be hogged when done. Light is off when in Lock mode. Will only unlock cable when you unlock car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. I don't have a light. I'll look again but I couldn't see anything that indicated the position the button was in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's strange. I have same EV and checked. There are 2 buttons next to each other. The button with Auto on it had a small yellow light. The one with a clock picture is the scheduled charging deactivation and this has no light.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the one with no light seems to toggle whether or not the cable locks.
At some point I'll have to read the manual!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts