Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been advised that I'm unable to purchase the charger cable set advertised on the Vauxhall website at £278 because the connector has been changed! They want to charge me £427.20 for the latest one! Checked on the Chevy site and they sell their set at £339.

I don't believe they've changed the socket on the Ampera from type 1 - rather the dealer (Pentagon Sheffield) is just displaying further incompetence but has anyone else heard similar?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ouch ! I have one on order from an online retailer, should be here this week and only about £175 for a 5m cable with type 2 and type 1 plugs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the same Lee. This is a replacement for the one that comes with the car. Dealer is trying to tell me that the plug has been changed so I can't buy the one that's advertised on Vauxhall site!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Try another dealer? I ordered some accessories from a distant Ampera dealer and they were happy to deliver to a local Vauxhall dealership at no extra charge

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ask them WHAT has changed about the plug. It's a J1772 plug - what's to change?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ask them WHAT has changed about the plug. It's a J1772 plug - what's to change?
Don't worry I've already tried to explain that it's a J1772 plug on my car - they just keep insisting that it has changed and hence I need to spend more.
Lack of dealer expertise really is the downfall of Ampera ownership.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Not the same Lee. This is a replacement for the one that comes with the car. Dealer is trying to tell me that the plug has been changed so I can't buy the one that's advertised on Vauxhall site!
Doh! My mistake, I assumed at that price it was the type 2 to type 1 cable.
Will have to be careful with my evse lead if they are that expensive!

I do see to remember reading somewhere that the newer evse cables are different to the old ones, reduced functionality but better waterproofing, or something like that.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The new Vauxhall EVSE is not 6A/10A switchable but it reported to be more waterproof.

Personally, I think the 6A option is superb and if my Vauxhall EVSE broke I would be trying to find a replacement that had the 6A option. It is a great way to charge away from home without needing to worry too much about the condition of wiring etc.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have received a second reminder for the non compliance update. It says that the Ampera will be updated with the latest software so it may include this function.
Wish it was selectable for me in car! This would be an easy software update for older Amperas.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thx. My Ampera service is not until 8th May so I shall have to wait until then before finding out for myself :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just a thought (always dangerous for me) but do they mean the domestic socket end? When mine broke the replacement came with a 2 pin plug which would have been useless had my Ampera not arrived with a sack of adapters for all foreign countries which also included a uk one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Mike. They were adamant that the plug 'chassis' had changed as the previous ones were getting stuck in the socket?? Apparently they've referred the issue back to Vauxhall for clarification as I said I wasn't going to pay the higher price for this 'new' charging unit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
No Mike. They were adamant that the plug 'chassis' had changed as the previous ones were getting stuck in the socket?? Apparently they've referred the issue back to Vauxhall for clarification as I said I wasn't going to pay the higher price for this 'new' charging unit.
Why are you having to buy a new charge unit?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Where are you in the UK? I might be able to take a look and tell you what's going on :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts