Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We just bought a 2018 Leaf (in the US) for my wife. I searched through the user manual and it does not mention anything about the best regular charging routine to extend battery life.
I did not find anything specific in the Leaf40 forum either.
We always charge the Leaf at night due to low electricity cost.

1. Is plugging in the Leaf every night regardless of remaining charge (even if it has more than 100 miles left on it) a good or a bad thing for longer battery life?
2. I understand that the Leaf does not have active thermal management and would experience a higher loss when compared to a Bolt or a Tesla. Is there any recommended charging routine for a longer battery life?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I plug it in overnight when I know I want to drive the car further than the range left the following day. If not, like tonight, It’s not being charged.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think battery life is affected by the number of charges made and therefore it is better not to charge on nights where you clearly have enough charge for the next day. It is also not good to leave the car too long (more than a day?) standing at 100% charge. I try to charge to 80% (by using the start and stop on the timer) if I do not think I shall use much charge the following day.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It is also not good to leave the car too long (more than a day?) standing at 100% charge.
Out of interest, do you mean 100% of mfg total capacity ?
In which case, I understand the average owner can't do that, as the car management system won't let you charge up beyond 90% (?) of the total usable.
So when your battery is "full", it actually isn't.
So you won't actually be leaving the car standing at 100% charge?

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
The main issue for me is that if you charge to 100% you get no regen for the first few miles. As well as being annoying, it means you are wasting energy.

So it's cheaper and better to only charge to 100% when needed. Unfortunately they removed the 80% charge option years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts