Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We just bought a 2018 Leaf (in the US) for my wife. I searched through the user manual and it does not mention anything about the best regular charging routine to extend battery life.
I did not find anything specific in the Leaf40 forum either.
We always charge the Leaf at night due to low electricity cost.

1. Is plugging in the Leaf every night regardless of remaining charge (even if it has more than 100 miles left on it) a good or a bad thing for longer battery life?
2. I understand that the Leaf does not have active thermal management and would experience a higher loss when compared to a Bolt or a Tesla. Is there any recommended charging routine for a longer battery life?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,178 Posts
I plug it in overnight when I know I want to drive the car further than the range left the following day. If not, like tonight, It’s not being charged.

Reactions: EricM

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think battery life is affected by the number of charges made and therefore it is better not to charge on nights where you clearly have enough charge for the next day. It is also not good to leave the car too long (more than a day?) standing at 100% charge. I try to charge to 80% (by using the start and stop on the timer) if I do not think I shall use much charge the following day.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,874 Posts
It is also not good to leave the car too long (more than a day?) standing at 100% charge.
Out of interest, do you mean 100% of mfg total capacity ?
In which case, I understand the average owner can't do that, as the car management system won't let you charge up beyond 90% (?) of the total usable.
So when your battery is "full", it actually isn't.
So you won't actually be leaving the car standing at 100% charge?

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
The main issue for me is that if you charge to 100% you get no regen for the first few miles. As well as being annoying, it means you are wasting energy.

So it's cheaper and better to only charge to 100% when needed. Unfortunately they removed the 80% charge option years ago.

·
Registered
OPEL CORSA e
99 Posts
Thanks! Very helpful post. So, I guess we need to keep charging to around 80% and not let it discharge below 20%. Probably to go one step further, not charge it until it reaches around 20%?
Wish there were controls available to set these limits like a Tesla....
Hey, you can set the charge limit in a nissan leaf. somewhere in the settings.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Hey, you can set the charge limit in a nissan leaf. somewhere in the settings.
You used to be able to set 80% on an early Leaf, but I'm not sure that is available on my Leaf 40.

There is headroom built in, so charging to (an apparent) 100% isn't a problem. Leaving it at, or near, 100% (or 0% for that matter) will shorten the life of the battery. So, if you want maximum battery life (i.e. you intend to keep the vehicle beyond a few years) then only charge it when you need to.

To be honest, if my car isn't charged and ready to go with maximum range then I'm not sure what use it is to me, but I lease it so will have it for 3 years at the most.

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
50 Posts
From the UK service manual the only advice or clue provided is to avoid charging on a 100% charged battery.
i.e. Having timed charging which comes on to charge an already charged battery.
There is plenty of 'other' guidance to keep battery between 20% - 80% plus avoid overheating the batteries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts