Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, the charge flap hasn’t been releasing when unlocked. Putting the key under the gap doesn’t work to pry it open (gently). Eventually, after multiple times of locking and unlocking it releases.
I’ve heard there is no emergency release inside the boot 🤷🏻‍♂️

What’s the best cause of action on this to nip it in the bud before it leaves me unable to charge.

Thanks

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
6,034 Posts
You could try lubrication. The barrel in the centre twists. Mine stuck a few times and I don't think it was the lock. It was sticking a little when I pushed it in by hand without locking the car.
It was still under warranty when it happened so it was replaced foc. If it happens again I'm expecting some oil in the barrel will sort it.

You could also try Google, it's looks like the same locking mechanism used on the standard Golf and my ID3 lock looks the same so I imagine there's a few fixes on YouTube etc.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What’s the process for getting the new charge cable? My local VW garage was useless whilst trying to get help sorting the temperamental flap.

My car is now outside the 3 year warranty, did you extend yours @IainK ?

Had exactly the same problem on my 2018 egolf, vw replaced the motor under warranty and a new charge cable only a couple of weeks ago

Iain

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s the process for getting the new charge cable? My local VW garage was useless whilst trying to get help sorting the temperamental flap.

Still under warranty till December, just booked it into local vw garage, it took more than a month for the parts to arrive, they collected and returned the car to my work and the new cable was in the boot, no explanation?

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
442 Posts

There is a recall on 32 A charging cable supplied with car, white handles seems to be the give away, I phoned my dealer asked them to check and sure enough it needs replacing they insisted the car was booked in for half day. Seems they might check the car charging connector for damage presumably from this lead ,fortunately I have only used it once on a shopping centre free charger, it didn't charge and a white indicator not the usual green next to the charger plug.
By the way extended VW warranty seems good value if your low mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.