Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to charge this evening could not get the charge flap to unlock. RAC tried and failed also. It now needs transportation to my nearest open dealership in Braintree and a replacement car from Kia Assit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny enough I've exactly same issue. My flap was also faulty and released last week during its 1st service. Tonight it won't open again, so it's a trip to Braintree for them to have another go!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,226 Posts
There's no emergency cable pull release thing on the Niro?

Do the flaps get crudded with dirt and snag?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been told it could be the actuator although the RAC person who attend said he could hear it working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as I can tell from the manual the emergency release in the engine compartment only releases the charging cable connector not the door. For the door to unlock the car must be in "P" and the doors unlocked. I suspect you already knew that!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tried to charge this evening could not get the charge flap to unlock. RAC tried and failed also. It now needs transportation to my nearest open dealership in Braintree and a replacement car from Kia Assit.
Are you sure it's not stuck?

John

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
There's no emergency cable pull release thing on the Niro?

Do the flaps get crudded with dirt and snag?
It's not obviously dirt. The fixes I've seen simply take a bit of material off the top of the hinge arm.
I think it's just poor tolerances with flexible plastic.
Charge flap is a bit of an afterthought on the Niro.
Leaf one is much better made. Being actually metal helps!

Reactions: srichards

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,226 Posts
It's not obviously dirt. The fixes I've seen simply take a bit of material off the top of the hinge arm.
I think it's just poor tolerances with flexible plastic.
Charge flap is a bit of an afterthought on the Niro.
Leaf one is much better made. Being actually metal helps!

The Leaf one is good. The old Soul had a sideways one that had a button in the car. That flung itself open. They could have stuck with that idea.

If the car is parked in direct sun is the problem worse I wonder?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Any chance its a low 12V battery since alot of cars are sitting idle these past few weeks and not getting a decent top up?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any chance its a low 12V battery since alot of cars are sitting idle these past few weeks and not getting a decent top up?
No I am a key worker and use it most days. Arrived home from work and wanted to put on charge.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No I am a key worker and use it most days. Arrived home from work and wanted to put on charge.
Sounds like the charge flap actuator has failed. Probably needs a trip to your local dealer.

The early Kona's had a recall for this, (and post #22 further on in the thread) so I guess you're just unlucky (Hyundai/Kia share many components).

John.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like the charge flap actuator has failed. Probably needs a trip to your local dealer.

The early Kona's had a recall for this, (and post #22 further on in the thread) so I guess you're just unlucky (Hyundai/Kia share many components).

John.
It’s in the dealer as we speak not heard how things are going, closed at 1pm. May find out more on Monday.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apparently they have ordered a new charge flap in case it is needed (Not sure if they have looked at it yet). If needed it will come in a primer colour, unfortunately the sprayers that change it to my cars colour are still shut due to coronavirus so I may have to drive it like that until they open. She thought I may get it back at the end of the week. I won’t hold my breath.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car back with new black charge flap. Hopefully sprayed Grey at the beginning of June subject to the body shop opening. Cost me £16 in diesel in the hire car to add insult to injury.
Think we should keep an eye on how often this happens , concerned that it might happen again with no manual release. Think a recall to have manual release fitted maybe needed if it Courses lots of us to have problems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
They'll have ordered a Second Edition flap since, as I said before, I believe it received minor modifications over the First Edition

1 - 20 of 20 Posts