Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TittersVW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the connectors waterproof- can it be plugged in and out and charged when we get the most frequent weather we know we can rely on....yeah the wet stuff especially here in South Wales !!!!
Also I have to charge from car park at back of house so I need to use an extension real with granny charger at home so will look to see if a waterproof extension real exists....my outside plug is waterproof - what' anyone's experience of getting those electrons in the wet stuff?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have charged my car in rain all the time. It’s nothing to worry about. Sure....rainy conditions will probably lead to a bit more corrosion on the contacts but we are taking years before you need to do something about it. I did the same for 2.5 year with my E-golf no problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The connector on the front of the car is well designed to cope with wet weather. The design of the system means that nothing will be live until the plug is properly inserted, and once it is properly inserted everything is well isolated.

If you're using an extension lead outdoors on a regular basis then make sure it's of good spec:
1) Wire thickness - in theory 1.00mm2 can carry 10amps (and this is what most extension leads have) but I would strongly advise against such heavy usage of such a cable. You can find good quality 13A extension cables with 1.25mm2 which is acceptable, but ideally go for heavy duty leads with 1.5mm2 wire. Some people say go for 2.5mm2 but I'd say that's overkill for a 10A granny lead.
2) For the socket I think the Masterplug orange weatherproof socket is a winner. See my thread here:
My socket surfing solution

·
TittersVW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The connector on the front of the car is well designed to cope with wet weather. The design of the system means that nothing will be live until the plug is properly inserted, and once it is properly inserted everything is well isolated.

If you're using an extension lead outdoors on a regular basis then make sure it's of good spec:
1) Wire thickness - in theory 1.00mm2 can carry 10amps (and this is what most extension leads have) but I would strongly advise against such heavy usage of such a cable. You can find good quality 13A extension cables with 1.25mm2 which is acceptable, but ideally go for heavy duty leads with 1.5mm2 wire. Some people say go for 2.5mm2 but I'd say that's overkill for a 10A granny lead.
2) For the socket I think the Masterplug orange weatherproof socket is a winner. See my thread here:
My socket surfing solution
Thanks for the exstensive info u have here atm I have an outdoor 13amp extension with 1.25mm I think and it gets luke warm but as I said I'm gonna look for a weather proof extension lead so that might be thicker...

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Been charging in Wales wet stuff for years with no problems. You shouldn’t have an ordinary extension lead outside in the rain though but I guess you know that. My concern would be some other mischievous imp playing with it when live and wet o_O

·
TittersVW
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought myself a masterplug extension cable for charging at the office which is waterproof. At home the type 1 cable is fine alone as its long enough to go to my garage socket. Had no issues in the rain so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006X09WDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527489664&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=waterproof+extension+leads&dpPl=1&dpID=41KUXGKe7sL&ref=plSrch
Thank u I bought the 20m real version of this from B&Q as 15m not long enough to go through my very friendly helpful neighbours garden to the car park at the back of our houses ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts