Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an announcement on 30th September 2020 it said that after France, Italy, Spain, Norway, the Czech Republic and Switzerland,
the UK was supposed to get the 'Charge MyHyundai' service activated in Q4 2020.
Now we are in 2021 I have not heard anything.

Any news/rumours about this? Or has Brexit thrown a spanner in the works, as I think it is supposed to work in Europe too.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
I have given up waiting, this is the Hyundai UK response dated 18th October to that very question. This told me nothing I did not already know.

“ Thank you for your email.

In regards the partnership between Hyundai and IONITY, please see the following links:

https://ionity.eu/https://ionity.eu/

https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html

We are currently in the process of finalising our relationship with IONITY, so we are unable to confirm our plans at this stage. We will make customers aware of any developments in due course.

Kind regards”

I am not going anywhere at present to need Ionity chargers, or indeed anyone else's. Their deal in France with the Charge My Hyundai is nothing special. But I do wonder why its talking them so long to roll out the card in the UK. For most of us not worth paying a subscription till we are allowed out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath. No doubt any deals would apply to new cars.

Given that's there's not actually that many Ionity chargers in the UK and that now, with the daft Brexit thing, the roll out of Ionity chargers will no doubt stall given it's a part EU funded setup.

Sent from my M2002J9E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I stumbled across a brand new set of Ionity chargers that had just been installed in the services on M5 at J28 about 8 weeks ago. Bit pricey - but worked well and fast. Most allocated funding from the EU that was already committed to the UK before Brexit is going to be continued until it has been spent, but also, I assume that because Ionity is not a UK company, that they'll continue to get EU funding to expand their network regardless. They are also in the middle of installing a new set in Beaconsfield, so doesn't look like they've been slowed down.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
I have just spent 2 weeks in France, using the myHyundai card/App and the Ionity add subsription. Using Ionity wherever practical.

I subscribed for the Ionity package on myHyundai paying £11.25 a month, which will be £130 for a year. The minimum contract period is 12 months and thereafter cancellable.

UK CHARGING at Ionity chargers, A14 Cambridge and M20. 25p rather than 69p. *

83kWh £20.53 which would have been £57.27 at full price. Saved £37.27 or less if I had used Gridserve (30p) where they have upgraded to reliable chargers.

FRANCE at Ionity from Calais to near Bezier, near the Med. At 0.29€ a minute rather than 0.79€ a minute full price on the HPC chargers or 0.49€ a minute on the singleton 50kW charger installed to keep the French Govt happy. I took 179.306 kWh in 202 minutes at 0.29€ a minute , I stopped when the charge rate dropped. I was charging at around 65kw from the off.

179.306 kWh in 202 minutes for 58.82€. = £50.10 at the myHyundai exchange rate.
The full Ionity price is 0.79€ a minute = 159.58€, saved 110.76€ = £94.72

So in 2 weeks I have saved £131.99. Thats the years subs covered! Only just got the monthly invoice, the transaction will appear on my next credit card statement and not be paid repaid till end of November. Plus for the next 11 months I can charge in the UK at their HPC chargers for 25p a kWh. Off to Kent for a short break next month and will save 5p a kWh over the Gridserve price of 30p so thats another £4 saved.

I have ignored none Ionity charging which was purchased as a necessity where there was a gap in the Ionity network. Motorway charging in France is expensive. Local 7kW chargers however are reasonably priced, fine for destination charging, but not for eating up Autoroute kilometres. We are fortunate that operators in the UK do not have differential pricing for motorways. It will happen one day!

In France for long distances the only affordable, reliable network in 2021 is Ionity on subscription. Its also better in having 4 HPC chargers at each stop plus a 50kW. Otherwise you will find generally a single charger at a higher cost. Might be occupied, might be out of service and just as likely ICED, the Locals are good at that. Might be a VERY long way to the next motorway charger.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Same experience as @Electra Glide in Blue .
After covering 2400mi through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Poland I found it way cheaper to pay annual Ionity subscripton than paying regular price - not just at Ionity but any other charging network. Most of them were priced from 0.40E to 0.74E (along my route were typicaly 0.64Eur/kwh).
Tanked up ~540kwh from Ionity (~£135) and about another 350 from other networks where Ionity was not available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts