Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst reviewing the pros and cons of mains Smart Meters a thought struck me.

Companies want the data collected by Smart Meters and EV charging points amongst other data collectors. They want it for a reason, usually to make money from it.

Who owns the data I produce and they collect?

Surely as the source of that data it is mine to own, use and profit by if I wish. I certainly don't recall anything in the contract with my EV charging point supplier giving them any rights to my data to use and/or sell (but it was an early install and a lot is missing including who owns it and keeping it turned on, as in the latest contracts I have seen).

I suspect I need to affirm this to the data collectors in case they assume it is theirs to dispose of as they wish and also possible to set up a scale of charges for use and especially selling it on to third parties.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It is an interesting point.

If you had your home charge station installed through the government grant scheme (free or nearly free) then you will have a contract to provide that data to the government for a period of 3 years. What happens after that is up to you. At the end of the contract period you can remove the GSM module and prevent anyone having the data.

If you paid for it yourself and did not receive grant money then I would imagine that you are correct... the info is yours to sell if you wish but you may find that it isn't quite that clear-cut. For example... POLAR offer a free on-line reporting system for POLAR home units to allow you to collect and view your own charging stats. If you want that service then you must allow them access to your data and that may include giving them certain rights to use it for their own commercial benefit in lieu of them charging for the on-line reporting service... it might not, I don't know... but that is the kind of arrangement that I could see existing.

So in principle I agree... outside of any grant contract or other contracts that may exist then the data is ours to do as we see fit but I am not sure that we will get any cash for it and sharing it may ultimately be in everyone's benefit.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Almost Paul. Just take it a bit further.

Whilst one may give a supplier permission to record the data for three years and feed it back to OLEV in exchange for the cost of an installed charge point, do they then also control that data for other uses, sell it, supply to others and so on or is the data still yours to control? Others will want it e.g. energy companies assessing future load, chargepoint companies assessing fees. Who benefits? Who is in control?

The charging data obviously has a high value £1,000 to the government plus the contract price to the suppliers £??? for some 1,000ish readings I guess over the three years, so £1-£2 per datapoint as a ballpark figure. Nothing for nothing.

I was also thinking about Smart Meters as the data certainly has a similar commercial value which is not acknowledged at the moment, just spurious claims that the installation of a Smart Meter will reduce your power consumption, which it won't of course. By using the data collected by Smart Meters the energy companies may save a lot of money on grid distribution so they have a strong incentive for there use.

I would just like the real value of the data to be acknowledged not glossed over as worthless.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Almost Paul. Just take it a bit further.

Whilst one may give a supplier permission to record the data for three years and feed it back to OLEV in exchange for the cost of an installed charge point, do they then also control that data for other uses, sell it, supply to others and so on or is the data still yours to control? Others will want it e.g. energy companies assessing future load, chargepoint companies assessing fees. Who benefits? Who is in control?

The charging data obviously has a high value £1,000 to the government plus the contract price to the suppliers £??? for some 1,000ish readings I guess over the three years, so £1-£2 per datapoint as a ballpark figure. Nothing for nothing.

I was also thinking about Smart Meters as the data certainly has a similar commercial value which is not acknowledged at the moment, just spurious claims that the installation of a Smart Meter will reduce your power consumption, which it won't of course. By using the data collected by Smart Meters the energy companies may save a lot of money on grid distribution so they have a strong incentive for there use.

I would just like the real value of the data to be acknowledged not glossed over as worthless.
I certainly wouldn't infer that the value of the data to the government is the value of the grant. The grant is to encourage take up and not just there to collect data.

However, I do take your point, the data is not necessarily available for the collecting agent (Chargemaster, et al) to use for their purposes... I have read the contract that closely.

Personally, I doubt that the data is worth much at all to anyone tbh.

Re smart meters... again, the smart meter is not owned by the houseowner and so I would doubt that the data is in fact owned by the houseowner either.

Could smart meters save us money? Sure! If the grid is more efficient then it gives more scope for reduce prices in the future... or at least less rises :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts