Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much wrong going on here. Two EVs not charging but taking advantage of the free parking, both of them there when I arrived 40 mins before to charge... All bays occupied. I was in the ID.3 and about to leave, hence green light behind me. A Zoe user had to wait until a bay became available.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
400 Posts
Yep, that's pretty poor behaviour - but looking at the Parking Restriction sign attached to the fence, it does say you have to be charging. So report it to whoever manages the car park, and hopefully those people will get a fine.

Edit: If these are all Rapid Points it would be an idea to stick a time limit on the bays as well. Not many users really needs more an 90 minutes on a Rapid.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Were the cars actually plugged in ? Could get a bit akward if they were charging but now full. A lot of temptation to use a rapid charger like a destination one. I can imagine to most people there is no difference.

Personally i like the idea that Tesla use for cars plugged in but at end of charge and not moving, done automatically without employing people. Perhaps charge at 20p/min, similar to lost potential revenue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were the cars actually plugged in ? Could get a bit akward if they were charging but now full. A lot of temptation to use a rapid charger like a destination one. I can imagine to most people there is no difference.

Personally i like the idea that Tesla use for cars plugged in but at end of charge and not moving, done automatically without employing people. Perhaps charge at 20p/min, similar to lost potential revenue.
The two with the green light on the chargers were not plugged in. Drivers nowhere to be seen, and they had been on the pad when I arrived. I admit I did the 'charging but full' act for five minutes, because shopping took a bit longer than planned.

All the best

Andreas

·
Registered
61 Posts
Three domed CCTV cameras over that small area of parking spaces? Seems overkill for security. They're probably linked up to whoever manages the parking enforcement for that site, so I wouldn't be surprised if those non-charging cars find their 'invoice' in the post soon. The signage (although I can't read it fully) also suggests that there are enforcement cameras with ANPR in operation.

Anyway, this sort of thing will get more common. A lot of prats drive cars. As more cars become EVs, a lot of prats will drive EVs. They park in disabled, parent & child, and drop-off spaces, so EV charging spaces won't be any different.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've found the parking warden before now and reported the Tesla on my local Waitrose point who wasn't even plugged in and hadn't bought a parking ticket which we now have to do after some moron left his EV plugged in on a point for a couple of days solid.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I find it interesting that many motorists complain bitterly about the antics of parking management companies, like Parking Eye, yet now we are getting more and more people complaining about the lack of enforcement of parking regulations when it comes to people misusing EV charging bays.

Perhaps we should all be singing the praises of parking management companies and encourage them to be even more draconian in their enforcement practices . . .

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
I find it interesting that many motorists complain bitterly about the antics of parking management companies, like Parking Eye, yet now we are getting more and more people complaining about the lack of enforcement of parking regulations when it comes to people misusing EV charging bays.

Perhaps we should all be singing the praises of parking management companies and encourage them to be even more draconian in their enforcement practices . . .
Draconian with ICE drivers, lenient with EV drivers.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
165 Posts
Is anyone else using this app? its very helpful to let other people know you are waiting to charge and to tell other people to let you know too, please take a look.

I've been registered for about 18 months and have the stickers in my windscreen. So far I've never been contacted or seen another charging car displaying the stickers.

It's a great idea but needs a massive uptake if it's going to be useful.

Alternatively, drivers just need to be courteous and not as selfish as those in the photo on the original post.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
165 Posts
Three domed CCTV cameras over that small area of parking spaces? Seems overkill for security. They're probably linked up to whoever manages the parking enforcement for that site, so I wouldn't be surprised if those non-charging cars find their 'invoice' in the post soon. The signage (although I can't read it fully) also suggests that there are enforcement cameras with ANPR in operation.

Anyway, this sort of thing will get more common. A lot of prats drive cars. As more cars become EVs, a lot of prats will drive EVs. They park in disabled, parent & child, and drop-off spaces, so EV charging spaces won't be any different.

Sadly, you are right.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
This is only going to get worse. It will only ever get better if there are real consequences for people who do this, that's very difficult for each car park to enforce.
It would help if each bay had a large sign warning of a '£90 penalty for non EV or non charging EVs parking, CCTV montiored'. I don't understand why they don't.

For example, Argyll & Bute council car park EV bays have a small sign warning about penalties but telling you to phone the council to find out more - how stupid.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts