Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting a rolec 7kw charge point installed soon, though I've not contacted them yet.

The distance between the main CU and the garage is 30m. However the charge point location will need a further 5m of cable.

The garage currently has power to it, but the cable is only 4mm and is buried somewhere under 6 feet of garden and concrete patio. So I am planning to have a new cable laid for the charger. I have been advised this should be 6mm minimum, ideally 10mm.

What I want to know is, I have looked at many of the rolec installer terms and conditions, which state that they charge between £5 and £10 for each extra metre of cable over the standard 10m install. This will add possibly £200 to the cost of install. I can however get the cable myself at my local elec shop for just £80.

Could I get my own 10mm cable, lay it in place, and leave the ends uncut, so that the rolec installer can do all the connections themselves?

Sorry for the long post, but is easier to explain that way.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd call Podpoint instead. They seem to be much more flexible with cable runs, mine was about 25m and I didn't get charged any extra. From what I gleaned when I spoke to the installation chappie, it's when you get to the length when you need to up the gauge to avoid voltage drops that they start charging for extra cable.

Anyway. I'd call them and email though some sketches of what you want and they'll advice on a price. They're really friendly and I had my second podpoint installed last week.

If you haven't committed to the Rolec (you said you've not contacted them yet) I'd bin it off and give pod point a call.

Just my 2p.
Andy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I did my own trench and cable run for a PodPoint install (about 17m of trench, 6mm2 cable), and just left the cable ends cut for them to strip and wire everything up - they were fine about it. I took plenty of photos to show we had dug the trench deep enough and put in the buried cable warning tape, etc. Though they did have to come back a day or two later with a bigger drill bit to get the cable through the wall!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd call Podpoint instead. They seem to be much more flexible with cable runs, mine was about 25m and I didn't get charged any extra. From what I gleaned when I spoke to the installation chappie, it's when you get to the length when you need to up the gauge to avoid voltage drops that they start charging for extra cable.

Anyway. I'd call them and email though some sketches of what you want and they'll advice on a price. They're really friendly and I had my second podpoint installed last week.

If you haven't committed to the Rolec (you said you've not contacted them yet) I'd bin it off and give pod point a call.

Just my 2p.
Andy

Thanks for your reply. Obviously uts down to personal preference, but I've just changed from installing a charge master unit to a rolec, based on the opinions on here. I know they have their faults, but being modular should be easier to fix. Plus the small design of be rolec will more easily fit the limited wall space I have.

Regarding price though. Even if I have to shell out 200 more, it is still the same price as a standard install of the podpoint. Rolec with grant only 150.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did my own trench and cable run for a PodPoint install (about 17m of trench, 6mm2 cable), and just left the cable ends cut for them to strip and wire everything up - they were fine about it. I took plenty of photos to show we had dug the trench deep enough and put in the buried cable warning tape, etc. Though they did have to come back a day or two later with a bigger drill bit to get the cable through the wall!
Yes. I was thinking of that myself. Not do any connections, just have cable waiting for them. It had to pass through around 5 internal walls, 2 external walls, and down 30m of garden, clipped to the wall, (no trench possible).

Might be easier for me to provide cable and have them wire it up. Should I ask the installer first, or just do it

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Could I get my own 10mm cable, lay it in place, and leave the ends uncut, so that the rolec installer can do all the connections themselves?
This is an extremely sensible thing to do - the installer's high price per metre is mainly about the labour to attach those extra metres to the wall etc rather than the cable itself.

However, before you start make sure you've agreed with the ultimate installer/electrician what you are going to buy and where you are going to put it. You are asking them to sign the "design" as well as "construction" and "inspection" boxes on the electrical installation certificate, which they may be (reasonably!) reluctant to do if they haven't had input to the design.

Also needing sorting out in your case is how the existing lights/sockets are handled. It's probably more sensible to abandon the existing cable and have a new consumer unit in the garage fed by a single large cable for all of lighting/power/charging, but that's not the only way to do it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, granted. May be just worth a call. Its call both up with your proposed layout and the option to buy your own cable and see what they say. The Rolec is modular and you could fix it much easier yourself if it went down.

I got my first podpoint around the time of the burnt out Rolec breakers which scared me of a bit. I think they've sorted this now but I stuck with pod point for my recent install mainly because of the installation experience the first time.
Thanks for your reply. Obviously uts down to personal preference, but I've just changed from installing a charge master unit to a rolec, based on the opinions on here. I know they have their faults, but being modular should be easier to fix. Plus the small design of be rolec will more easily fit the limited wall space I have.

Regarding price though. Even if I have to shell out 200 more, it is still the same price as a standard install of the podpoint. Rolec with grant only 150.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SmartEQ42 - Just a quick question (as I'm interested in getting a Smart EQ) what socket does the car have? (if that's the right question e.g. type 1 or 2) thanks
It's got a type 2 socket, and is now available with 22kw on board charger, which I'm my opinion is well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, granted. May be just worth a call. Its call both up with your proposed layout and the option to buy your own cable and see what they say. The Rolec is modular and you could fix it much easier yourself if it went down.

I got my first podpoint around the time of the burnt out Rolec breakers which scared me of a bit. I think they've sorted this now but I stuck with pod point for my recent install mainly because of the installation experience the first time.

Yes, I can understand your apprehension around rolec at that time. I'll give both a try, see what happens, but I think ultimately I do prefer the rolec option.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's got a type 2 socket, and is now available with 22kw on board charger, which I'm my opinion is well worth the extra cost.
Great, thanks for the info
I had considered the 22kW on board charger, it is cheap, but unless used at a rapid(?) charger/long distance journeys, it's not useful?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is an extremely sensible thing to do - the installer's high price per metre is mainly about the labour to attach those extra metres to the wall etc rather than the cable itself.

However, before you start make sure you've agreed with the ultimate installer/electrician what you are going to buy and where you are going to put it. You are asking them to sign the "design" as well as "construction" and "inspection" boxes on the electrical installation certificate, which they may be (reasonably!) reluctant to do if they haven't had input to the design.

Also needing sorting out in your case is how the existing lights/sockets are handled. It's probably more sensible to abandon the existing cable and have a new consumer unit in the garage fed by a single large cable for all of lighting/power/charging, but that's not the only way to do it.
So if I were to do this, I should contact rolec and get an installer to give me a quite for works, then suggest I buy and fit my own cable based on his requirements. That sounds pretty sensible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great, thanks for the info
I had considered the 22kW on board charger, it is cheap, but unless used at a rapid(?) charger/long distance journeys, it's not useful?
I understand your point, as i thought tge same, but consider this. You get the car with 7kw onboard, the later you want 22kw. You can't retrofit this. Plus, is a big selling point if you want to sell it down the line.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I understand your point, as i thought tge same, but consider this. You get the car with 7kw onboard, the later you want 22kw. You can't retrofit this. Plus, is a big selling point if you want to sell it down the line.
I agree also, but am still unsure, it's small range & physical size, i don't see it as a long distance journey vehicle, others might, so i can see them wanting the faster charge...
Where did you buy yours from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree also, but am still unsure, it's small range & physical size, i don't see it as a long distance journey vehicle, others might, so i can see them wanting the faster charge...
Where did you buy yours from?
Smart dealer in Poole. Very good dealer. Happily have me 24 hr test drive. Haven't got it yet. It's due for delivery end of August. Will actually be my first owned car, having been driving mums car for 2 years.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So if I were to do this, I should contact rolec and get an installer to give me a quite for works, then suggest I buy and fit my own cable based on his requirements. That sounds pretty sensible.
Good luck contacting Rolec or any of their installers. Rolec never replied to my enquiry after I'd failed to get any local installers to either come back to me with a quote or come up with a price. I wanted the Rolec model with the "solar switch" so I could take advantage of my solar PV. After a month of faffing around I gave up and went to PodPoint. Yes, you may pay a bit extra than a straightforward Rolec install but PP deliver the goods and are really helpful. My 7Kw has worked faultlessly for over a year now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts