Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought an Ampera and decided that we will encourage all company car drivers to swithch to Ampera from now on I have immediately run into a rather difficult obstacle.
One colleague whose lease on a Prius runs out in a few months wants an Ampera but her garage, which is in a collection of garages separate from her house has no power and the car parking area for her house is across a public right of way. She is in Maidenhead which is not a "plugged in place" so there seems little chance of getting a point installed near her home. Secondly, the car park for our business is also separated from the office building by about 15 metres and across a public right of way .... same problem.
Any thoughts ... ? We will pay a sensible price for an installation but it seems no one is interested.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Sounds like you just need a new connection at your car park site, for a single LowVoltage (240V) supply this would be around £1000.
http://www.ssepd.co.uk/SupplyConnections/ (see your own suppliers details for greater accuracy)
You would also need an appropriate cabinet for the meter and consumer unit etc.

If your staff are able to charge at work will they need to charge at home also? again a new installation at the garage site would likely be the only option.

P.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments - they are useful.
In areas covered by the plugged in places it seems (ie: I'm not entirely sure) that the grants are intended to cover homes that have access issues (part of the reason why some big cities are covered by the scheme)
We have since enquired with the electricity board and they are looking into running a cable for us and the price may be reasonable but includes the cost fo digging stuff up.

In our own little town the local authority announced grand plans about a year ago ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-13756517 ) and we have seen 2 public points appear since then plus a couple at Sainsburys. The 2012/13 budget to support this strategic plan for electric vehicles in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is ..... wait for it ... £21K !

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I bought and installed the GM official 16A charger and the only disappointment is that it cannot be set to 10 or 6A so when I charge from my SolarPv I have to use the portable unit or it will exceed the rate of supply, and cheap rate would be better otherwise.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am just about to place an order with Plugged in Midlands for a home charging unit. I am going to future-proof myself and order their 32 amp model.

Living in the Midlands, I can claim back 60% of the purchase and installation charges of the charger Network Services - POD Point Ltd
Ask them to fit one on the station car park in Matlock Bath that will be handy for me when we go to Matlock from Tamworth. I don't think there are any round there are there... GT..

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
OMG Zombie resurrection...... kill it, kill it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts