Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there was a discount on fitting a home charge point last October.

Stupidly, having an order estimated build date set at end of December, I decided to have the point fitted in advance to get the discount and, of course, I also used the UK OLEV grant.

There is something in the OLEV grant about "not more than 4 months in advance" - as I don't have a confirmed build week yet (last estimate was 19th March) I'm going to go over the limit in February.

Apart from speaking to my dealer about how I think it is VW's fault and that they are responsible for any "payback" to the Government, does anyone know what will happen when I exceed the 4 months limit ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless MI5 are watching your house (have you been naughty recently?) I very much doubt they’ll know that you haven’t used it.

I broached the subject with my dealer and was told categorically that VW would not entertain any compensation for this situation.. be interesting to see if anyone else has had a different response?

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,369 Posts
My guess would be nothing will happen..I've not seen anyone ever mention it before.

I paid for mine end of Sept, it was fitted in Nov, was expecting the car in December and I'm now expecting the car in March..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have exactly the same issue, charger fitted 27/12/2017, actually had to come back and change rolec as the supplier had fitted a 32A rather than a 16A which my circuit board couldnt handle, my delivery date for my advance was mar/april, now at last message to VW, end of may, VW said to check on a few weeks. Seeing a few being brought into earlier weeks.
I really don't think the govt would be able to police currently to see if the charger was being used. IMO.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
It's the VIN you need, not the actual vehicle. Ask your dealer when in the build process the VIN gets allocated and make sure they tell you what it is as soon as possible. Then get your installer to forward it to OLEV. I expect there will be enough slack in the system that nobody will notice it's late, if they even care.

I really don't think the govt would be able to police currently to see if the charger was being used. IMO.
There has never been anything in the T&Cs that requires you to actually use the charger.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As it's the installer who claims the grant, and presumably they can't claim it until they have your VIN, it would be the installer chasing you not the government. I just assume the 4 month limit is to avoid installers being out of pocket for too long. Could be wrong of course.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
The installer provides a copy of your car order to get the grant. In theory OLEV then contact you later for car details, but I suspect that doesn't always happen.

The details are at link below but it says "The date of installation must not be more than 4 months ahead of the date of delivery or date the customer becomes the registered keeper/nominated user/lessee of the electric vehicle. OLEV will closely monitor this time period which may be further amended".

I am sure OLEV would be understanding if delivery was delayed through no fault of the buyer. Chargemaster contacted me a few weeks ago to arrange charger install for our new Zoe and it won't be delivered until mid June. Not that we are eligible anyway!

Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme guidance for customers: version 2.1 - GOV.UK

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually
It's the VIN you need, not the actual vehicle. Ask your dealer when in the build process the VIN gets allocated and make sure they tell you what it is as soon as possible. Then get your installer to forward it to OLEV. I expect there will be enough slack in the system that nobody will notice it's late, if they even care.

There has never been anything in the T&Cs that requires you to actually use the charger.
got mine purely with the order form as I don't have the vin. Also now struggling to get energy trust scotland to cough up the agreed interest free loan to purchase the car! Vws dates are not worked no in my favour and are causing me all sorts of issues. Should have maybe stuck with my tesla model 3 reservation!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I actually

got mine purely with the order form as I don't have the vin. Also now struggling to get energy trust scotland to cough up the agreed interest free loan to purchase the car! Vws dates are not worked no in my favour and are causing me all sorts of issues. Should have maybe stuck with my tesla model 3 reservation!
You are correct, I just checked the wording and it says they will also accept an order form with a unique order number:
For applications where a VRN is not available by the day of installation, it is essential that OLEV can identify, where necessary, a vehicle that is on order. For this reason, customers are required to provide evidence of a unique identification number that should appear on an order confirmation form. Examples of these numbers have been provided in box 7 of Part A, Section 1. If customers have not provided a VRN, any failure to provide this number will mean their application will not be valid.

21. If you do not have any of these pieces of evidence, you should contact OLEV at [email protected] prior to installation to confirm if any other evidence is appropriate. If the grant claim cannot provide the evidence above and an exception has not been agreed in writing with OLEV the grant claim will not be paid.
And box 7 of Part A, Section 1 says:
For vehicles on order, please provide the estimated delivery date and one of the following identification numbers (please state which):
 Order number
 Reference number
 Arrangement number
 Agreement number
 Enquiry/quotation number

If your order confirmation does not include any of the above, please contact your vehicle provider to obtain one, otherwise this application will be ineligible.
However, if you get it installed giving only one of the above number then note also the warning in box 6:
Vehicle Registration Number (VRN) or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)* *The VRN must be provided where the customer has possession of the vehicle on the day of installation.

If the vehicle is on order, please provide your name, address, chargepoint ID and VRN to the DVLA within 28 days of the delivery of the vehicle. [email protected] Failure to provide this within the timescale may mean OLEV takes action to seek recovery of the grant benefits, in accordance with section 5.
So while you are quite correct you don't need the VIN to get it installed, you must still send them the VIN once you have it.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Maybe behind the scenes the charging company gets notified by Nissan, Renault, etc. and does send the info on. All part of the administration overhead (and hence cost) that the grant entails.

Clearly if you arrange directly with installer they should contact you for details later. Has that happened to anyone? In both our cases we already had car (Ampera) or lease company provided VRN (B250e).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts