Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we come out of lockdown I am anticipating driving more miles. Until now I have been charging infrequently on the 13amp socket in my garage. I am hoping that it will be OK to run a cable through the interior wall between my meter and the kitchen, From there run the cable under the kitchen units behind the kickboards and out through the wall into my attached garage where I could have either a commando socket or charge point mounted on the wall next to the garage door.
My car, 2018 Kia Soul, will be parked outside the garage door for charging.
I have been retired for many years so no commuting or early starts for me.
What are your recommendations, advantages/disadvantages, of the two charging methods?
I look forward to your words of wisdom regarding my dilemma.
Meter.jpg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you tell the electrician you intend to use the commando for EV charging, they should include a safety box for PEN and DC fault protection. It's about £130. Plus the correct £40 RCBO. That would be 18th edition compliant.

If you don't tell them, and they don't ask, then it's cheaper. But it's less safe (it would be as safe as a pre-2018 wall charger or a granny charger).

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Or a ground rod if possible, about a tenner.
The Ohme has internal DC & AC RCD protection.
I don't think Earth Rods are compliant to 18th edition. Not possible to ensure safety into the ground (my charger is right near the incoming electrical gas and drains!) or separation from the PEN incoming metalwork.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I don't think Earth Rods are compliant to 18th edition. Not possible to ensure safety into the ground (my charger is right near the incoming electrical gas and drains!) or separation from the PEN incoming metalwork.
Total rubbish. Of course TT earthing is permitted. In fact is specified. However it's up to the installer to ensure that the actual installation of the earthing arrangement is effective. It might need to be distant to the actual chargepoint.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Total rubbish. Of course TT earthing is permitted. In fact is specified. However it's up to the installer to ensure that the actual installation of the earthing arrangement is effective. It might need to be distant to the actual chargepoint.
What do you make of this?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Attached are OHME details for electrician.

To the OP, I would be very wary of car charging on that ancient fusebox - it has no RCD that I can see. Personally I would look to replace with a new consumer unit to latest regulations and get the commando sockets installed as part of the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
As we come out of lockdown I am anticipating driving more miles. Until now I have been charging infrequently on the 13amp socket in my garage. I am hoping that it will be OK to run a cable through the interior wall between my meter and the kitchen, From there run the cable under the kitchen units behind the kickboards and out through the wall into my attached garage where I could have either a commando socket or charge point mounted on the wall next to the garage door.
My car, 2018 Kia Soul, will be parked outside the garage door for charging.
I have been retired for many years so no commuting or early starts for me.
What are your recommendations, advantages/disadvantages, of the two charging methods?
I look forward to your words of wisdom regarding my dilemma. View attachment 143402
Looking at that picture of the cutout
It be looks like the earthing is a tns system so no need to worry about pen
fault protection just a type a RCD and
mcb.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Attached are OHME details for electrician.

To the OP, I would be very wary of car charging on that ancient fusebox - it has no RCD that I can see. Personally I would look to replace with a new consumer unit to latest regulations and get the commando sockets installed as part of the work.
That doesn't reference 18th Edition Amendment 1.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
That doesn't reference 18th Edition Amendment 1.
I am not aware of anything in that ammendment that impacts the instructions ‐ perhaps you could illuminate me?

Also, a commando socket isn't actually "Electric Vehicle Charging Installations" as it could be for other uses. However, I agree with OHME that if primarily intended for such use, it should be installed as such as DNO advised.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I am not aware of anything in that ammendment that impacts the instructions ‐ perhaps you could illuminate me?

Also, a commando socket isn't actually "Electric Vehicle Charging Installations" as it could be for other uses. However, I agree with OHME that if primarily intended for such use, it should be installed as such as DNO advised.
Did you read the link I provided earlier? It quotes amendment 1.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,851 Posts
I've been getting quotes for a work place evse and I've been told by two installers that they just fit units that don't need an earth rod as 'is not easy to get a good earth' where we are and it wouldn't be any cheaper.
Our usual electrician popped in this week and when we were talking I mentioned about being hard to get a good earth he laughed and said there would be no problem.

It sounds to me like they want to sell the expensive options, or at least price as if it's going to go badly wrong and take hours to install an earth rod.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Did you read the link I provided earlier? It quotes amendment 1.
I don't need to read a 3rd party site, I have a copy of the IET Amendment.

Again, specifically what do you believe needs to be done that is not covered in that OHME document?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I've been getting quotes for a work place evse and I've been told by two installers that they just fit units that don't need an earth rod as 'is not easy to get a good earth' where we are and it wouldn't be any cheaper.
Our usual electrician popped in this week and when we were talking I mentioned about being hard to get a good earth he laughed and said there would be no problem.

It sounds to me like they want to sell the expensive options, or at least price as if it's going to go badly wrong and take hours to install an earth rod.
It can be difficult to get a low impedance earth using rods in some areas (depending on substrate and water table) and a few EVs are fussy - especially the Zoe. There is are also the risk of undocumented underground services.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

It's a question of risk. They could just stick a box in. Or they could risk hitting your water line, gas line, even your power line by putting in an earth rod unseen into the ground.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have a spare way on the DB?

1 off 40amp
4 off 32a mcb
16a mcb

suggests you may need a charger capable of sensing the house load and charging accordingly?

Id also look to donate the distribution board to your local museum!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
What do you make of this?

The efixx link contains a lot of advertorial content provided by MyEnergi. Funny that they should promote myths about TT earthing not being allowed😜

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have a spare way on the DB?

1 off 40amp
4 off 32a mcb
16a mcb

suggests you may need a charger capable of sensing the house load and charging accordingly?

Id also look to donate the distribution board to your local museum!
You should have seen the old fuse box. When UK power networks came to install a 100amp fuse they looked at the box and said that they couldn't do it as it contained asbestos and they would send another qualified team. The new team removed the old box and installed the new one that you can see. All that for free!
I replaced the old wired fuses with the circuit breakers many years ago. The 40amp circuit breaker seems to be free, I will investigate that at the weekend..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts