Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
The efixx link contains a lot of advertorial content provided by MyEnergi. Funny that they should promote myths about TT earthing not being allowed馃槣
And yet it's the IET's amendment to the standard that addresses the risk of installing a new earth rod in many situations. So unless you're saying the IET is commercially compromised.

Basically, if you don't know where your PEN conductor is (or your water, gas and sewage) you shouldn't be driving earth rods into the ground.

Registered
And yet it's the IET's amendment to the standard that addresses the risk of installing a new earth rod in many situations. So unless you're saying the IET is commercially compromised.

Basically, if you don't know where your PEN conductor is (or your water, gas and sewage) you shouldn't be driving earth rods into the ground.
How in "earth"馃榿 did you are at the conclusion I don't think earth rods are compliant with 18th edition.

Registered
It only costs 拢500 with grant to get a proper home charger fitted. I don't get the obsession with hardwiring these OHme glorified granny chargers in with commando installations. They look untidy and it seems like a wholly unsatisfactory solution.

You can get a proper tethered charger professionally installed for a similar amount of money so why go for an inferior solution especially if it's not safe as would be the case here ?

That said my pod point Installation as good as it looks doesn't meet code apparently as we have a triple phase supply (pen issue mentioned above) with a single phase supply no problem.

Anyway with a proper installation it has its own mini consumer unit RCD etc. Which would solve the dodgy garage supply in this situation.

Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It only costs 拢500 with grant to get a proper home charger fitted. I don't get the obsession with hardwiring these OHme glorified granny chargers in with commando installations. They look untidy and it seems like a wholly unsatisfactory solution.

You can get a proper tethered charger professionally installed for a similar amount of money so why go for an inferior solution especially if it's not safe as would be the case here ?

That said my pod point Installation as good as it looks doesn't meet code apparently as we have a triple phase supply (pen issue mentioned above) with a single phase supply no problem.

Anyway with a proper installation it has its own mini consumer unit RCD etc. Which would solve the dodgy garage supply in this situation.
I wasn't considering hard wiring the Ohme, just plugging it into the socket when charging. Tell me about the 'dodgy garage supply', I haven't mentioned the CU in the garage.

Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am assuming that I will need a separate CU in the house adjacent to that which is in the photo. Nobody has criticised my idea of running the cable under the kitichen units so I assume that's OK. Now, back to the question of having a charge point in the garage or a 32amp commando socket and plugging an Ohme cable into it; what are the advantages of one against the other - please.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
I am assuming that I will need a separate CU in the house adjacent to that which is in the photo. Nobody has criticised my idea of running the cable under the kitichen units so I assume that's OK. Now, back to the question of having a charge point in the garage or a 32amp commando socket and plugging an Ohme cable into it; what are the advantages of one against the other - please.
Functionally there鈥檚 no difference as far as charging goes. Which evse you choose depends on cost, aesthetics and whether it has any additional capabilities you want such as solar integration or compatibility with tariffs like Octopus agile, the latter being a major ohme selling point.

The other major difference is that most other evse have pen fault detection built in, the ohme needs this externally or an earth rod. You can use something like the Matt:e box as the dedicated consumer unit to supply the commando and that meets the pen fault device requirements.

Registered
Why not get a proper dedicated charger installed with the grant ?

It's going to cost a similar amount to using a plug, in OHme granny charger with the modifications you are proposing. You will also get much faster charging speeds Vs plugging in on a 13amp supply which is what you seem to be suggesting ?

Podpoint has built in pen protection on single phase, install with the grant is 拢499. Less if you what untethered. So no messing with Earth rods etc.

You get 15m of cable from your fuseboard in with the install price.

A proper permanent external solution professionally fitted. Make use of the grant whilst it's available !

21 - 28 of 28 Posts