Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Seat Mii Electric
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just signed up to a Seat Mii Electric on a BCH deal and am contemplating how/if I can get a home charger installed.

Our house is detached with a small piece of garden to the front, along the front of which runs a footpath (tarmac) which is owned by others. There is then a small piece of grass (again technically owned by others) before our carport, which is where I would want the charge point.

When we bought the house about 2 years ago, I asked if the Developer could install a duct from the house to the carport and they said they couldn't because the mains services run through the footpath (electric, gas and water).

I've been trying to think of another way round it, but I can't at the moment. I did wonder whether I could run an overhead cable, but not sure on the law in terms of taking something over someone else's land.

It's not the end of the world because I can charge at work, or trickle charge off an extension lead if I have to, but it would be nice to take advantage of the grant available.

Photo below of what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You didn't hear it from me...

But I'd dig a hole in that grass on both sides of the path, and push some 3/4" copper pipe under the path, and keep withdrawing it to remove the soil. As long as you're gentle, I don't think you'll harm any buried services. :)

BTW, I'd forget about a grant. You don't want officialdom noseying around.

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
181 Posts
You didn't hear it from me (either) ...

Just note that "correctly installed (existing) services" should be a minimum of 300mm below ground level ..

Just so you bear that in-mind if you go with Tandy's copper pipe suggestion ;-) so you do your best to avoid anything that "might" be present ....

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would put one of those drainage channels in the tarmac that have a in built metal grill. It will look official and there is no risk of someone digging through you cable. I would take over the grass next to the carport--- cut the grass and plant a couple of small shrubs.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
322 Posts
Speak to an electrical installer on the official list of OLEV installers

Then get them to quote all the works, and they will just apply the grant for you and do all the works needed.

But as others have said, you can easily get a small pipe under that path and run all the way to the garage. I assume there is just lighting in the Garage? No Distribution board or power outlet ? As you can always 3pin Charge, as the Mii has a small battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts