Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm coming to the end of a two year lease on my Nissan Leaf, great car, but I've decided on a change and have an i3 on order in early May.

I need to change home charging point from a type1 to type 2 I believe. My current Leaf has the 3.3kw charger on board. Now I'm being quoted £279 to change the point to accommodate the i3(3.3kw) or £354 for a 7kw version.

My question is, can't I just have the type 1 connector changed to type 2?, I can live with the 3.3kw charging speed. I've see these priced at £60.

Seems to me the installers want the £500 grant and my £300 just to swap out a few cables.

Any advice is welcome.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all,

I'm coming to the end of a two year lease on my Nissan Leaf, great car, but I've decided on a change and have an i3 on order in early May.

I need to change home charging point from a type1 to type 2 I believe. My current Leaf has the 3.3kw charger on board. Now I'm being quoted £279 to change the point to accommodate the i3(3.3kw) or £354 for a 7kw version.

My question is, can't I just have the type 1 connector changed to type 2?, I can live with the 3.3kw charging speed. I've see these priced at £60.

Seems to me the installers want the £500 grant and my £300 just to swap out a few cables.

Any advice is welcome.

Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some bright spark might well correct me but I think it's down to the cable supplying the current being man enough. Your feed might not be of the correct size, I think you need 16amp or 32amp (this latter for future proofing).

By this I mean the cable from mains to charger rather than charger to car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and thanks, I'd kinda thought it would be pretty straight forward. I'll checkout the suppliers you've suggested and hopefully find a way inside the polar box.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts