Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2,400 EV charging bays across 600 Tesco stores | Pod Point

PodPoint in partnership with Volkswagen plan to install 2,400 charge points at 600 Tesco stores nationwide within the next 3 years.

The charging bays will be based in Tesco Extra and Superstore car parks throughout the United Kingdom, and made up of a combination of 7KW fast chargers - which will be free to use - and 50kW rapids, which will be priced in line with market rates.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Let's hope there will be a "Tesco crowbar person" standing by the spaces waiting to appropriately deal with any ICEs using these spots.
More seriously given it will be in Tescos interest to attract EV drivers to their store they do have an incentive to police this. It's also great news for people that don't have car charging at home, get your weekly charge whilst shopping. Most people don't have a massive loyalty to supermarkets, this could easily sway you to be a "charge tart"

·
Registered
405 Posts
Doing the numbers, this represents four chargers per store so not game changing but a useful step forward. However, places like Westgate in Oxford have fifty chargers I believe?
Perhaps 7kW chargers in station car parks would be better. One day a week you’d park and charge, the other four just park.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the one at Tesco in Slough quite often and they have sited them far enough away from the entrance that I have never seen them ICE'd yet. IIRC there are 4 7kW Type 2 and one Rapid charger (50kW CCS & Chademo plus 22kW AC type 2)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
BBC also reporting this. 7kW will be free, rapids will be paid.

I'm starting to wonder about cars like the Kona using 7kW public charging... If there was lots of it that would be great, but at the moment there isn't and I have a bad feeling that most of the people on there will just be in it for the free electricity rather than because they actually need it.

When I get a Niro I'll probably not use public 7kW charging and just leave it for people with low range cars or no home charging. Especially at places like Tesco where a Euro or two of free electricity isn't worth screwing someone else for.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doing the numbers, this represents four chargers per store so not game changing but a useful step forward. However, places like Westgate in Oxford have fifty chargers I believe?
Perhaps 7kW chargers in station car parks would be better. One day a week you’d park and charge, the other four just park.
That assumes you commute and use trains. I can't speak for all the other EV owners, but I buy food far more often than I use a train.

I would never see a need to use my local Tesco in order to charge, but the rapids would be useful when away from home. Anyway, I know where everything is in my local Sainsbury's :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
That assumes you commute and use trains. I can't speak for all the other EV owners, but I buy food far more often than I use a train.

I would never see a need to use my local Tesco in order to charge, but the rapids would be useful when away from home. Anyway, I know where everything is in my local Sainsbury's :)
I bet if you lived in a rented house, or a house without a drive, or a flat, you would ditch Sainsburys for Tescos faster than Rod Stewart picks up a new blonde.

And many Tesco's have a cafe where you could treat teh blonde to tea and a bun whilst you waited.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Great news!
The bbc says"A standard 7kW charger will be available for free, but drivers will have to pay for a faster service."

Will the faster service be 50kW?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great news!
The bbc says"A standard 7kW charger will be available for free, but drivers will have to pay for a faster service."

Will the faster service be 50kW?
The one in Slough Tesco is 50kW on CCS and Chademo and 22kW on AC type 2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beat me too it!
Useful article on BBC website reporting same thing but coupled with some slightly snarky comment from the business correspondent about it not being enough for the surge in EV ownership. Really?
Tesco plans free car charging points
The comments on there are painful to read. So many people bleating on about how everyone is subsiding ev charging and how hydrogen is going to save us.

·
Registered
79 Posts
it says 7kw free for a limited charge time , so would think that is like an hour tops maybe? not exactly a great deal of mileage gained from that but good to know and a great step in the right direction. I hope they enforce the charges properly and not like things are at present from what i see from people who rely on public chargers. I am fortunate to have only used a public charger once so far.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Charge while shopping, charge when at the gym, cinema, work. This sort of cheap to install charging will help those without off street parking/charging facilities at home. Personally I have been using this type of charger when they are installed and more than one is free so the powers that be know they are being used and not a waste of money. I dont need the charge so when there is only one left free, I dont bother.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Do you think this will stop people moaning about VW? Or about how manufacturers other than Tesla dont do anything to build their own charge networks?

Nope. I didnt think so...
Hmm. Maybe I'm guilty of that - the Tesla ones are nice and visible. But I'm unclear what VW's involvement in this is, with Tesco providing the location and podpoint providing the charger. Are VW funding it? Selflessly, or in the hope of revenue from it? It's clearly not dedicated for just their cars.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
In a previous thread i suggested Tesla were being a bit wanky installing "Tesla only" units. I got shot down by various people, who love to claim Tesla are the only company putting any money into a charging network. Convinently ignoring the money Nissan and others put into the EH, which is also available to all EV users.

Can you imagine the outcry if these Podpoint/VW units only charged VW's?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you think this will stop people moaning about VW? Or about how manufacturers other than Tesla dont do anything to build their own charge networks?

Nope. I didnt think so...
I think you'll found that Renault/Nissan funded a lot of the chargers in the early days of the Ecotricity Electric Highway, and they have Nissan logos on them, and provide free-where-available charging at dealerships.

So, we now have Renault/Nissan, Tesla and Volkswagen funding/sponsoring public charging infrastructure in the UK.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
35 Participants
Haymo Wuthrich
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing