Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
it says 7kw free for a limited charge time , so would think that is like an hour tops maybe? not exactly a great deal of mileage gained from that but good to know
Yes and no.

Normally I charge at home, but just now there's a load of rolls of insulation piled up in my garage where the car normally parks. Today I took mum out shopping and she needed a few things from nearby our local charging hub. I had 12 min on a rapid, gained 20% and now I don't have to think about hauling the full 8m cable out under the garage door to charge at home tonight. An hour on a standard 7kW charger while we traipsed round big Tesco would have got me about the same again.

It's not something I'd use all the time, especially having to wrangle my cable then then get it all coiled up and back under the boot floor before I load the shopping in, but it's nice to have available.

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
Really excited to see the uptick in new charge point planning announcements!

Hope Barrow-in-Furness is included as there's absolutely nothing there and I often go through. It'd make it effectively free for me to do so :)

However, the pessimist in me does tend to think we'd be seeing a lot of ICEd spots, or people sat there for 3-4 hours to save ~£3 on a home charge etc. Or PHEVs to save even less. Which is all well and good if there are half a dozen spots and they're always empty (heck I'd join in from time to time!) but more likely it'd be a case of luck finding one available. It'd need enforcement with things like Parking Eye, which comes with its own problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tesco Extra is a 5 minute walk from our house and there are Tesco Superstores 1.5 miles to the west and 2 miles to the east. Currently ;) the nearest public chargers are pay for Geniepoints at council owned locations, one about a mile away with rapid & fast and a pair with fast only about 1.5miles way. Looks like businesses are starting to think about the commercial potential so maybe, just maybe, we are reaching a bit of a tipping point in charging infrastructure, which can only help with EV uptake, both new and an increase in demand for used :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
There are no tipping points. Businesses are there to make a profit so car manufacturers will make EV cars if there is demand (which there is .look at the waiting lists) and businesses will put charging infrastruture to match. Just all chicken and egg.
In general petrol stations dont make much money, if any, but they do act as a lost leader for many. My local garage was bought out by a small national chain and is now a Subway/Costa/supplies/Alcohol / lottery tickets etc ..oh,i think they still sell petrol some of the cheapest in these parts to get them in!
Ken

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There are no tipping points.
There seems to have been one recently. For the past several years, public charging was only installed if there was some kind of subsidy - OLEV paying for the capital costs, or businesses doing it for image reasons etc.

In the past year or so, we've seen multiple networks start installation of rapid charging on a purely commercial basis - all the funding coming from profit-seeking investors, site hosts not contributing anything apart from the ground rent.

The fact that this isn't just one isolated case, or gradual change over a long period, suggests that there has been a tipping point where the spreadsheet numbers suddenly turn from red to black and investors can see a profit within the investment horizon of the capital markets. That's presumably down to forecasts of EV sales as the primary thing that's changed, but other factors like equipment cost, payment systems, the fact that CCS has now clearly won the plug wars may pay a part.

My 'multiple networks' includes: Instavolt, Alfa Power, Engenie (who have been around for ages without actually doing much; recently attracted outside investment and actually starting a real roll-out), Chargemaster (who were previously very much subsidy driven, but apparently now have a subsidy-free offer for rapid hosts), and Carmarthenshire council who have managed to obtain local private investment for rapids on their land at no cost to the council. I suspect GeniePoint should also be on the list, but I don't have any info about their offer to site hosts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes petrol stations are mainly 7-11 shops that sell petrol/diesel on the side to get customers in, as do supermarket petrol stations with the added attraction of loyalty card points, but the 7-11 model may not work so well for EV charging as who wants to park outside a small shop for 30mins+ and most have insufficient space, whereas charge-as-you-shop at supermarkets and out of town shopping areas has much more potential due to both the length of the activity and the parking space already available. Add a Starbucks, a Pizza Hut, a Macdonald's, a children's play area and a gym and lots of people will be happy to spend half the weekend there :rolleyes:

The tipping point comes when the wisdom of the buying public becomes that an EV is the best next vehicle purchase as opposed to an ICE, then as you say supply will follow demand. Spending a lot of money on a diesel car right now is possibly risky as spending it on an EV seemed only a year or two ago.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The tipping point comes when the wisdom of the buying public becomes that an EV is the best next vehicle purchase as opposed to an ICE, then as you say supply will follow demand. Spending a lot of money on a diesel car right now is possibly risky as spending it on an EV seemed only a year or two ago.
I agree, and I think we may be at that point now.

Speaking to my dad the other day, who's not an early adopter or EV enthusiast, he is of the opinion his next car will be electric and that people are hanging onto their existing cars longer through reluctance to have a new fossil car while waiting for more widespread EV availability.

I think the next stage will be next year once people are seeing a lot of nice-looking EVs driving around - ie once the Model 3 arrives and you're seeing Teslas all the time rather than once a week, and once there's a bit more volume of other EVs around. At that point I wonder if there will be a serious slump in new fossil car sales?

Problem is, there doesn't look to be much volume production of EVs to meet that demand. Will manufacturers survive the transition if their fossil sales don't see them through in the meantime?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Problem is, there doesn't look to be much volume production of EVs to meet that demand. Will manufacturers survive the transition if their fossil sales don't see them through in the meantime?
Yes, and this is the reason that not a lot appears to be happening. Manufacturers are happy to allow someone else to make losses and open up the market, some only increasing volumes by controlling prices to ensure that there is some profit in it.

If demand surges (as is likely with 300 miles range cars), then prices will remain high.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone is aware of any progress on the PodPoint / Tesco venture?

I've not seen anything Tesco related on their "latest additions" page that they update every now and then, and helpfully their pinned tweet announcing the news goes to a 404 page not found.

Don't suppose @planetpolitic knows anything?

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just searched for Tesco on the pod point website and it returned 4 pages of Tesco pods
Thanks, I tried that too, and the first 5 that I looked up on Zap-Map showed that they were installed in 2017 or older, so not part of this project (I wasn't going to check every single one)

I'm just curious how many (if any) have gone in as a result of this joint VW/PodPoint venture, not how many Tesco's have points in general

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Those two I linked to are the only rapids in Tescos to the best of my searching. So given your dismissal of those your answer must be zilch!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Those two I linked to are the only rapids in Tescos to the best of my searching. So given your dismissal of those your answer must be zilch!
Yeah, it does sound like zero rapids, but it was meant to be a mix of rapids and 7kW posts, so I was naively optimistic at least some of those might have gone in

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In other news a small chain of oversized delis are in the process of switching on clusters of 4 rapids at most of their outlets.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Spent a couple of weeks in Newton Abbott last month, where there are no chargers but in nearby Torquay there is a Geniepoint at a Texaco garage. However one night on going there I found a fuel tanker was refueling the tanks and the charger, which was rather close to the tanker (what genius thought that one out?), was coned off. The tanker driver said he would be another 45 minutes, so I went on Zapmap looking for another rapid nearby and found a Polar Instant at Lidl in Paignton, a couple of miles away. Just wondered if this is a 'one off' or have any other Lidls got Polar Instants?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
35 Participants
Haymo Wuthrich
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing