Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Spent a couple of weeks in Newton Abbott last month, where there are no chargers but in nearby Torquay there is a Geniepoint at a Texaco garage. However one night on going there I found a fuel tanker was refueling the tanks and the charger, which was rather close to the tanker (what genius thought that one out?), was coned off. The tanker driver said he would be another 45 minutes, so I went on Zapmap looking for another rapid nearby and found a Polar Instant at Lidl in Paignton, a couple of miles away. Just wondered if this is a 'one off' or have any other Lidls got Polar Instants?
You've confused Polar with Pod-Point! They're totally different companies.
Charge your EV on Alex-Leon at Lidl - White Rock Way

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So this has all gone a bit quiet then, any news on the timescale for the roll out ?
Found this I posted in an unrelated thread (Morrisons charge points):

Regarding the Tesco roll out, I emailed them to ask if they were coming to my local store. They replied that they were installing in a few locations first to collect data on how they were used before rolling out in general (and reading between the lines - if at all).

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
I sense this is going to be one of those chicken and egg things. They won't want to put any chargers in because there's no demand, and there's no demand because no one is buying EVs because of a lack of chargers...

(I say 'no one' figuratively, of course)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well 3 of the 4 podpoints at my localish Tesco have recently stopped working, so I hope they get a move on. I think they even mentioned Tesco on the ID.3 pre-launch hooha the other week.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm just curious how many (if any) have gone in as a result of this joint VW/PodPoint venture, not how many Tesco's have points in general
Ditto, it appears that the announcement was on Nov 30 2018, since then according to Openchargemap only two Tesco sites had any PodPoint modifications:
  • Tesco Extra Woolwich Car Park, London, SE18 6HQ, 4x7kW - updated on 7 March 2019 (initial install 2017), has 4x7kW
  • Tesco Head Office (Welwyn), Welwyn Garden City, AL7 1AB, not for public use but apparently Podpoint owns them), initial install 2015, updated 17 April 2019 - 2x13A
As mentioned, the older ones discussed above are:
  • Crawley, initial install 2017, updated June 2018
  • Slough, initial install 2017, updated April 2018

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone is aware of any progress on the PodPoint / Tesco venture?

I've not seen anything Tesco related on their "latest additions" page that they update every now and then, and helpfully their pinned tweet announcing the news goes to a 404 page not found.

Don't suppose @planetpolitic knows anything?
Looks like a fair few 7kW are starting to go in, but (at time of posting), no rapids yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like a fair few 7kW are starting to go in, but (at time of posting), no rapids yet.

Spotted one going up at my local Tesco Extra in Middleton near Manchester, it looks like it will be ready in the next few days. Shiny!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Called in to the Tescos Extra in Merthyr Tydfil today to check where the new chargers were.
No signage for EV's only and all spaces were ICED when I arrived.
Luckily, someone was just leaving, so was able to try it.
At some of the other new ones in Wales, at least they have EV only signs, and a £70 fine notice sign near them.
If I have seen a driver of an ICE about to park in an EV bay, I have helpfully told them, to be careful, because of the £70 fine for parking in the bays. So far, all have thanked me for letting them know and moved to another space.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Our local Tesco (Elmers End) has moved its existing 7kw PodPoints away from the front of the shop (where they were constantly iced) and installed some proper signage. So progress of a sort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was at Tesco Irlam(Manchester) the other day, the signage in and contractors were working.
I think there were 6 bays fenced off.

20190905_113303.jpg

20190905_113259.jpg
20190905_113303.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Middleton one looks to be ready, will try it on Saturday once I pick up my i3.
I nearly burst into tears when I spotted an ICE car whose owner clearly is not able to read the signs.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
35 Participants
Haymo Wuthrich
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing