Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something I don't understand, maybe because I'm a bit of a newbie to EVs.

From what I read, there seems to be a plethora of different types of chargers, different amperages, different methods of payment, etc. I guess that is not surprising for something relatively new where there is no central control. Hopefully, a lot of it will shake out as the market grows.

It seems that charging on the EH often requires you to sign up to a particular supplier and to carry a card relevant to it. Would it not be simpler for anyone to be able to use any charger and pay for it using NFC technology, either with a regular credit/debit card or a mobile? If suppliers want to offer special discounts to certain groups (like Tesla cars, say), then surely that can be factored in by the system recognizing the card or phone and applying the relevant discount. If you haven't bothered to sign up (to enable recognition) you will pay the full whack. I assume that no charge would cost more than the £30 limit currently applied to NFC payments.

In my inexperience, I have probably missed something glaringly obvious. If so, no doubt someone will put me right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The only possible argument against this that some have mentioned is card transaction fees due to the usual low costs per charge although others have argued that they are pretty small and won't be an issue.

The only other thing required I believe is the ability in the software to deal with transmitting card details (or the generated card details from NFC payment such as Apple Pay/Android Pay) securely from the pump to be processed. This may add some cost.

I don't think either is a massive hurdle, just requires some money to be spent by the network providers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You've not missed anything - at the moment it's just providers trying to tie people into their networks I guess, and have a guaranteed revenue stream with the monthly / yearly fees. Hopefully at some point in the near future this will change and they'll bring in a "pay at pump" style system, I guess maybe they're waiting for take up to get to a point where chargers are in more regular use to make the outlay on upgrading existing machines worth it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at the moment it's just providers trying to tie people into their networks I guess, and have a guaranteed revenue stream with the monthly / yearly fees.
Yes, I guess it's typical big company mentality. Understandable if there were lots of competition perhaps but as things stand...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts