Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having difficulty opening your charge port flap. Mine seemed to be stuck solid today, managed to open it after some time manipulating it. Seems the spring catch is not strong enough to push it out. Unfortunately there is nothing to grip to pull it open, had to resort to using a screwdriver to wedge it open. Not great for a 30k+ car!! I have implemented a temporary solution by sticking a bit of gorilla tape to inside of flap at the tip which sticks out when flap is closed. It works but looks naff, do you think Kia would come up with a fix?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
There's a silicon grease you can get as well. I use that on the Zoe hinge so it doesn't squeak.
It's also worth making sure all around the charge port door is clean as any crud will impede opening.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine was getting a bit stiff as well, I mentioned it at the 10k service and they applied a little silicone grease to both sides of the hinge. It's been fine since, so if it happens again I'll just do the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is stiff at the moment as well, getting quite hard to open at times. It thought the colder weather was to blame. I'll have to find the silcone grease, I'm sure I have some in the workshop but I haven't seen it recently.
I was in weather of about 20-30 F (-7 to 0 C) for the past week. I did not have any problem with my charge port. The only issue I had was that I was struggling to get above 65-70 Amp charging speed when using fast chargers rated at 100 Amps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is just ordinary wd40 any silicone spray will do. Open flap and just spray on each side of the long plastic hinge, then open and close flap a few times to spread the spray, nothing special.
Off to Halfords to buy some

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting that's PTFE based not silicone.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I used Gt85 (or maybe 95) on mine last week.
Seems fine now.

Still fit the can in the car, I'll double check the ingredients when I get back to the car tonight

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used silicone grease I had lying around off a previous plumbing job, which had worked a treat.

This is what I used:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts