Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if someone can offer any advice - my charge port seems to have a mind of it's own. Usual routine is park up, put in park and open the frunk and charge port on the screen, get out the car, collect charger from frunk, close frunk, walk to the back of the car - by which time the charge port has closed itself. I try to open the cover by gently pressing the cover itself; which doesn't seem to really work so plug the charger into the outside socket, place on floor, get phone out of pocket, open the charge port from the Tesla app, pick up charger, plug in and away we go.

Is closing the frunk triggering the chargeport to close in some way?
How long should the chargeport stay open after I open it from the car screen?
Am I doing something wrong when opening manually from the outside?

Any advice most welcome!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's only a few seconds.. probably works better if your driving position is on the left.. the extra time going around the car can be enough.

Pushing on the cover should work (the car probably won't be asleep by then), or the tesla charger has a button which does it, otherwise using the app is the way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Usual routine is park up, put in park and open the frunk and charge port on the screen, get out the car, collect charger from frunk, close frunk, walk to the back of the car - by which time the charge port has closed itself.
This is exactly the same for me whenever I park at Tesco and want to use the PodPoint. In my case it’s down to walk-away car locking being enabled via Bluetooth; I pick up my phone from console, open frunk and charge port, get out car, close drivers door, take cable from frunk, close frunk, and car looks itself as I’m walking towards the charge point, closing the charge port flap as it does so. Pressing the flap makes no difference as the car is locked. Opening the rear door briefly unlocks the car again and flap will respond to a press, normally quicker than getting the app out. Alternatively leave you drivers door open until you’re plugged in. I have a tethered charger at home which normally gives me just enough time to plug in before the car locks. Maybe there are some other settings somewhere to adjust time periods but not a huge inconvenience for me in the scheme of things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine seems to be the opposite i.e. I have more than enough time. I open the charge port from the screen, get out of the car and walk to the back, open the boot to get the cable out, plug it into my wall charger, faff around with uncoiling the cable and then plug it into the car. The only difference is that I keep my boot open so the car doesn't lock, which may be the reason why the charge port doesn't close so quickly. Maybe do what I do and keep the boot open until you've plugged the car in... see if that makes a difference.

On a slightly different note, I really wish I got a tethered charger installed at home, it's so much more convenient. Sigh.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So to report back, leaving the boot open trick works a treat and the port stays open as long as required - 2021 with electric boot so not exactly a chore to open & close the boot - better than fishing around in my pocket for the phone app etc ;-) Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did get a tethered charger installed last week. A Zappi, not the Tesla version. Would be nice to have the push button to unlock feature, which is on Tesla's own charge cable. Anyone know if it can be added separately?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes there's a way to do it, not sure how easy it is. Tesla retrofit button kit - evChargeking
I looked to fit that kit but my charging connector had no obvious method of disassembly. It looks simple to install with no interfering with the 240V current carrying wires and just a small hole to drill for the button. I ended up choosing this kit and took the opportunity to extend my cable from 5m to 7m to allow me to park up with the trailer better. It was cheaper to go self assembly but it did need access to the crimping tool for the main conductors. They also do it pre terminated at the connector end. Instructions from EV Charge King were clear and easy to follow. It's worth it to not be faffing around with a phone in the rain to unlock the charge port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts