Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Charge port remote button doesn't work very reliably

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  arg 
#1 ·
I recently added an EVchargeKing Tesla Button to my tethered PodPoint charge point at home.

When it didn't seem to work very reliably (at least the remote opening of the charge port anyway) I assumed I'd probably done something a bit wrong, and would need to pull it all apart again soon and check my soldering. FWIW it has always reliably interrupted charging and released the locking pin as expected.

However, I've just come back from a loooong trip that involved no less than 10 different superchargers, and hardly any of them managed to remotely open my charge port either. Seems to work about one try in ten, but not more.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there something obvious that I could be doing wrong? Or is it one for the snagging list?

#2 ·
Timsk, there are lots of posts about this. It frequently seems to be the charge port rather than the cable. The small round button inside the charge port opening (once the flap is open) appears to be a magnet. That is all that keeps the flap shut. The flap sticks to it. It can be forced apparently, without the risk of damage, as it is only magnetism holding it shut.
Several remedies suggested, including a bit of grease/oil or similar on the magnetic button that holds the Flap shut. So every likelihood that your buttons are fine, but a non-opening flap is certainly NOT a new problem. As a last resort, a bank card at the point of the flap (by the magnet), followed by sharp blows to the rear of the flap sometimes works, they say.

#9 ·
The charge door on my first Model S worked perfectly.

The one on the P90D is a pain. Fails to open as often as it succeeds.

Don't expect this to improve in the near future; the US cars now all have motorised charge ports so there's no way TM will invest any time redesigning this part :-(

#11 ·
The odd thing is though that it always opens first time when I do it from the touchscreen or by holding the button on the key. They're my failsafe options when the supercharger button or my DIY-installed button doesn't work.

I'll certainly try cleaning the magnet and possibly putting some electrical tape over it to slightly weaken its grip on the charge port door, but I don't understand how it can open remotely from the touchscreen or key but not from the charge connector button.

#13 ·
I saw a comment somewhere that there was some sensitivity around where the head of the unit is in relation to the back of the car when button pressed. So it might be worth waving it about when button pressed.

#20 ·
I would recommend buying a "stegen" remote control - it works every time as it sends out a signal strong enough to travel 100ft or more - you just need to find someone who accidentally bought a batch of 10 (the minimum quantity) & is looking to sell the spare ones off 1 at a time, or start a thread to form a group of 10 to share it out. £18 each + postage
Model S Chargeport Opener - Stegen Electronics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.