Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had my Ampera since the week before Christmas so very new to the game. Everything great so far. Loving the car.

No problems with charging at home with my Polar unit but I have just had a Rolec unit fitted at my workplace. Connected it up for the first time this morning for my first charge up at work and there seems to be a problem. Wondered if anyone had any idea on what this could be?

I plug it in the amber charge light comes on (as it usually does before going green) the light on the Rolec system turns green too but after a second or two the amber light on the car goes out completely and the light on the Rolec charge unit switches back to blue from green.

The car says that it is 'unable to charge' although recognises the connector is there and in place.

Any ideas??

Many thanks

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,550 Posts
I have a Rolec unit at home, installed for September last year, and only once has the car failed to charge overnight. I am not sure if it was user error but has been fine for the last few months.
As soon as I plug the car in there is a loud click (relay connecting?) from the unit (sometimes accompanied by a buzz/hum from the unit, the light on the dashtop comes on then finally the toot from the car horn.
I do notice from my energy monitor that the charging does not start immediately though or there is a delay in it registering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. At this moment in time it seems that Rolec have sent out a unit which actually is in need of some kind of software upgrade? Installers not happy and it looks like they will need to come in and replace charging unit at workplace rather than just upgrade what has already been fitted. Very frustrating.We'll see what happens.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh. Further conversations with Rolec seem to head to this being as simple as the lead i have being 16A and the unit provides 32A. Not a software issue as suggested by the installers. Think i need to upgrade my lead! Never a problem at home with the tethered 32A Polar home charge. Learning......(very) slowly.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
As far as I know that should not be a problem. Most public charging stations can supply 32A but you will be fine with your 16A cable as the Ampera can only take 16A max.

I wouldn't just upgrade your cable just yet without a bit more investigation because I suspect that it should all still work with your existing cable.

If it doesn't then how does it work when you have guests turn up with their 16A cable? They wouldn't be able to charge. That doesn't sound right to me.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree, cable not a problem unless it is faulty itself - not sounding like it. 16A cable has nothing internally to tell either end it is 16A except the voltage drop as Kevin mentioned, but the voltage drop he was concerned about would be on the supply to the charger most likely not down your cable. The Ampera never takes a full 16A according to OVMS monitoring the can bus anyway - most I've seen is 14A.

It only takes one very slightly resistive connection in the whole supply circuit to cause the voltage drop more than an undersized cable to the unit. They should test the supply side with a dummy load and check the terminal voltage really.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Ahhh. Further conversations with Rolec seem to head to this being as simple as the lead i have being 16A and the unit provides 32A.
My guess is that Rolec have decided to restrict charging to 32A cables only... this is supported by the IEC standards but not very user friendly IMO. The EPC detects cable current capacity using the encoding resistor and gives the OEM options on how they implement the Charging Station.

I would agree with @Paul_Churchley and suggest you test with a 32A cable before investing further.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
16A cable has nothing internally to tell either end it is 16A except the voltage drop as Kevin mentioned, but the voltage drop he was concerned about would be on the supply to the charger most likely not down your cable.
The Type 2 cables have an encoding resistor which tells the Charging Station the current capacity.

You are correct, I was primarily concerned with the supply side installation wiring having seen recently a public Charging Station with a ~20V drop at 32A :eek:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thanks for explaining my mistake. That's why the mennenkes has extra pins perhaps or does it just take the place of our switched resistors in the portable unit we built?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rolec adamant its the cable which must be 32A to comply with their commercial charging unit comms regardless of the Ampera only taking 16A. We'll see tomorrow......

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Thanks for explaining my mistake. That's why the mennenkes has extra pins perhaps or does it just take the place of our switched resistors in the portable unit we built?
No problem :)

The Type 2 ("mennekes") connector uses the "Proximity Pin" to read the cable encoding resistor. The resistor selects between 13A, 20A, 32A, and 63A 3 Phase / 70A 1 Phase... you'll notice the first of many flaws in the standard, no 16A cable :confused:

The Mainpine EPC supports both the "Proximity Pin" and an "Input Current" pin.... IC allows users to select any current limit value from 6A to 70A (soon 80A) which IMO is much more versatile than the arbitrary limits chosen by the IEC for PP.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm just glad I met you who can explain it all to me. Thanks again, a bit more detail sticks with each exchange. None of this explains why Amperas actually take less than 16A when on J1772 tethered nominally 16A charging. I asked Vauxhall to explain this but have not got no reply yet. I asked if it might be 16A at 230v but where there is 240v if it cut down the amps to a set Kw rating. Just guessing. It may be the OVMS is only showing what is going into the battery and the car draws the extra 2A to manage the cooling etc. without it showing on the can bus message figure. I do wish they were more open with facts about the car. Time to chase up on that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi friends, now I do have a nagging problem. My Ampera was plugged all night and the charging indicator was on this morning, but a few hours later, I plugged it back in and no lights showed on the box at all. I've waited till evening now and the problem persists. Anyone else experienced this? Help!

·
Registered
241 Posts
With my Rolec unit, the Light is on when not charging but when charging the light goes out rather changing to the charging light (this is all on the Rolec not the car). I complained to my installer whom said it was faulty LED and that he would contact Rolec for a replacement LED but he never came back to me. TBH it does not effect the charge but I think that both the installer and Rolec were at fault as the installer didn't want to waste any more of his time so couldn't be bother to chase Rolec. Its a bit annoying though..

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,550 Posts
Have you tried resetting the charging box, switch it off at the main switch for a few minutes, then power back on? Remember to wait a few minutes before reconnecting the car (not sure exactly how long but I would have thought 10 minutes would do to allow it to cycle through the initialisation phase).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi, I think we touched on this thread before, I have problems with my Ampera charging on timed/delayed charge with a Rolec box by going to charge as soon as its plugged in. Rolec never seem to reply to you on this matter but I think its to do with the E.P.C. in the box but I think the later boxes seem to be modified as I tested my car on a members recently fitted Rolec box and it stayed on delay and did not go straight to charge, he also said it worked OK on his Ampera so I think they must have modified the later units. I have two Rolec units one 32a, socketed. one 16a. tethered and they both have the same problem do the same thing. GT.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,550 Posts
My tethered unit was installed in August 2013 and has been fine. In December 2014 I switched to off-peak and used the car timer since then, no problem. Not wanting to state the obvious but are you getting two toots when it is set to timer and you plug in?
One toot means charge immediately, two toots means delayed charging and to override the timer you connect, disconnect and then quickly reconnect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts