Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm keen to know if I'm being a complete fool with my charge scheduling. Our model 3 doesn't seem to want to do it.

Now, I'll admit the app for our home charger is shockingly bad but I still managed to set it up for a schedule.

But nothing happened. I had heard the rumours that the Model 3 has an issue with scheduling. Some have suggested the smart scheduling in the car is effectively competing with the charger app.

I'm not so sure, but I'd like a workaround.

What has everyone else been doing to get around this problem, if indeed it is one?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,213 Posts
I had a bit of an issue initially with my zappi 2 when Tesla rolled out the departure time scheduling. I now have the car set to start charging at the start of my off-peak and manually start the heating before departure, The zappi 2 is now set for full power and the car will take full power when the car timer wants it (off-peak) In the summer I will play about with it so that if there is any surplus from my solar then it will use it. What charger is it that you have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm going to retry the depart at feature etc. Hopefully that does it.

I went for the EO Mini Pro untethered in the end. Really nice device but they use the JuiceNet app which is a shame and leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,213 Posts
You might need to set the JuiceNet app to charge 24/7 and let the car decide when it needs to charge, adjusting the charge limit to ensure you have enough for what you need without charging during peak hours (if you have off-peak). I have mine set to start charging at 22:30 which is when the off-peak kicks in up here in winter.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Turned it off because it doesn't work and left me with low battery without charging.
Interesting. I wonder why. My SR+ is the same as h8ten. I have Pod-Point at home. I set the car to start at 00:30 and end at either 70% or 80% and the car always does as asked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're having to experiment now with the in-car scheduling options to get around the issue.

What isn't clear is exactly how the "Depart At" bit works. Our off-peak finishes at 4am, but our Depart At time is 8am. I don't want it to continue charging beyond 4am really.
Anyone know how this works?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,213 Posts
From what I found out, for the 'departure time' the car will work out how long charging it will need to be at the pre-selected battery charge level by the time you are due to depart and also warm the car up accordingly. So if you need 5 hours of charge and have set the departure time of 08:00 it will start charging at 03:00, in your case you would only have 1 hour of off-peak. For me, I would use the 'start charging at' time to match the start of my cheap rate and manually set the climate to warm the car before I leave at 08:00. If your off-peak starts at 23:00 then the car (in the 5 hour scenario) would be charged by 04:00 and then around 07:30 - 07:45 set the climate to warm up the interior.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I schedule my departure for 07:00 most often. My Juicenet app seems to indicate that the car works out how much it needs to charge to have it at the limit by 06:00 as described in the release notes.

It seems to do a little bit more afterwards when the climate comes on in time for the 07:00 departure. For example, yesterday I plugged in at 19:33. The car started charging at 7kW at around 22:00 and used 57.7kWh up to 06:00 when it stopped. From memory that took it from 20ish% to 90%.

Good feature IMO. Has been most helpful except on one day where it was only able to charge at 4kW instead of 7kW for some reason and it didn’t achieve the target charge limit. No idea why that might have been.

My cheap period is between 21:00 and 07:00 on weekdays. I would love to be able to tell the car that information and have it factor that into the plan if required. That said, the normal amount of charge the my car needs by 06:00 makes it fall into that window anyway.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,411 Posts
I set schedule last night for 3:30 to 6am but was not leaving until 7am. It seems it is not possible to set it just to charge and not warm up as checking app at 6am it was ready to go as was defrosted and warmed up cabin, but by 7am cooled down. Wish there where two settings, one just for charging and one for departure time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Needs a lot of improvement to match the flexibility of my previous i3 but I thought I'd give it a go despite the limitations. Primarily not being able to assign different schedules for different days. Initially it was convenient but it soon became annoying with my Rolec charger due to each time you plugged in, checked the app or just before the charging started the car would cycle the "switch" 5 or 6 times over a minute or so.

I assume it's something to do with sampling the available charge speed but will need fixing plus assuming my Switch to Octopus Go goes through I'd need to use a fixed start time anyway.

·
1,411 Posts
How did you set the 3:30? I didn’t think the START CHARGING AT and DEPART AT settings were linked. I imagined you selected one or the other.
Well start charging time tab sets time to start so I set it for best tariff and as I say depart time set as to stop charging but it also warms up cabin for this time so this energy is wasted if not leaving. I know it works this way as verified from smart meter readings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well start charging time tab sets time to start so I set it for best tariff and as I say depart time set as to stop charging but it also warms up cabin for this time so this energy is wasted if not leaving. I know it works this way as verified from smart meter readings.
I honestly thought the tabs were independent of each other. I have tried multiple times to set as you have but failed. If I set the depart tab to 8am it starts charging immediately for a good period then stops and starts again in the early hours. If the last tab I change is to set charging to start from 00.30 in the morning it doesn’t preheat the cabin but does charge at the right time. I’m on Octopus Go so want the charging to only start in the early hours. The configuration options need to be more flexible with the charging.

·
1,411 Posts
I honestly thought the tabs were independent of each other. I have tried multiple times to set as you have but failed. If I set the depart tab to 8am it starts charging immediately for a good period then stops and starts again in the early hours. If the last tab I change is to set charging to start from 00.30 in the morning it doesn’t preheat the cabin but does charge at the right time. I’m on Octopus Go so want the charging to only start in the early hours. The configuration options need to be more flexible with the charging.
I believe if you set it like that I think once it is at the limit set it stops then does not preheat as probably charged by 5am so not exactly as we would like, use unscheduled to see how long it will take then set start time say 5am if it will take 3hrs to limit and departure at 8am and that should work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No issues on SR+ with the Tesla wall charger. Scheduled departure of 0745, charging to 95% finished at 0548 (as previously mentioned before 0600 per their definition of “off peak”). Heater came on to 19°c. Only issue is that the battery had cooled down by then, and the preheat uses shore power so doesn’t warm the battery up - I had nearly zero regen. Might have to unplug it when I go downstairs and let it warm up from battery power alone if it’s finished charging a while before.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just use "Dashboard for Tesla" (Android) to start and stop my charge (Octopus Go Faster 20:30 to 01:30) and also use the app to set the preheat to come on 15 mns before I am due to depart. Works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has anyone tried delayed charging using the wall charger timer to control on and off?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone tried delayed charging using the wall charger timer to control on and off?
Yes and why I started this thread. A lot of the smart chargers' apps simply do not work with Tesla for some reason. I've set smart scheduling using the charger app and it doesn't wake the car up, which is why it seems many owners are trying different workarounds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts