Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Newbie to the forum and first time EV owner .
purchased a Kia Niro 4+ on March 1st , love the car but slightly concerned about the charge time . I eventually went for a 7kw pod point charger as when researching there web site it shows a charge time of 9hr, my car takes over 20hrs depending on how low it is to get to 100% .
the display on my car shows 7kw when plugged in . Is this normal ,is the Pod-Point website wrong or am I missing something.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
910 Posts
There sounds to be something wrong. Are you sure that the charge point has not been configured for 3.5 kW? I'd charge for an hour from 20% or 30% SOC. That should put in about 7kW and see your SOC increase by about 10% if it's configured correctly. Also, are you sure that it's a 32A, rather than a 16A, cable? (I'm assuming you have a 64 kWh battery.)

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
9 hours empty to full would be 9 hours if there were no losses. There will be losses, mainly heat, so it should take a little longer, maybe as much as 10 to 11 hours in total. 20 hours seems excessive. Most likely cause is @cDy says, wrong rating in the charge point or cable.

There could be another reason. Is this the first charge since delivery? The long delay could be that the balancing of the cells has had a full job to do. This can take ages. If this was the case the next charge will be quicker.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,746 Posts
I don't know much about the Niro but is there a menu setting to reduce the car's ability to charge to a lower charge rate than standard? I believe that the Tesla screen has that feature. If so, perhaps it has been set at max 6 amps input by someone. And just needs a reset.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,746 Posts
Timers is a good shout. But the issue can be isolated to either car or cable by a visit to a streetside 7kW charger to see if the same thing happens there. An hour plugged in should show a 10% rise in SOC in a 64kWh car. If not then something in the car is restricting the transfer of power. It would be my own first call to identify more information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a lot of messing about today I have found the kw indicator on the dash is all over the place I’ve had it at 7kw and as low as 0.5kw . God knows what’s going on with the charger ,have logged a call with Pod-Point.
thanks for your help 👍

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
After a lot of messing about today I have found the kw indicator on the dash is all over the place I’ve had it at 7kw and as low as 0.5kw . God knows what’s going on with the charger ,have logged a call with Pod-Point.
thanks for your help 👍
Just for reference, when you unlock the car it drops charge rate to .5kW. This is in preparation for disconnecting the cable. If you don't disconnect the cable it will climb back up to the maximum it can take.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
782 Posts
As hitstirrer says. Check every hour to see if the charge % is increasing by around 10%. That would indicate the battery is actually receiving the full 7.2kW that the dash indicates. What does the "time to full charge" show on the dash when you are charging, when the kW is showing as 7.2kW?
Note that for the first part of the charge if the battery is cold then some of that power will be diverted to the battery heater, so the first half hour or so could be a bit slower than 10% per hour, but it shouldn't take 20 hours.

Also, does your house use any other high loads whilst you are charging? Eg storage heaters, electric ovens, workshop etc. The charger may be configured to ramp down amps if your main fuse rating is exceeded?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts