Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some technical help. We have just taken delivery of a Kia Soul to replace our Gen 1 leaf and sit beside my Tesla. Fully committed and somewhat experienced!

We have a tethered type 1 and tethered type 2 for ease. When I set the charge timer on the Soul it doesn't start. It doesn't work on the climate timer either. This did the same on our trial Soul we had for 5 days so I don't think its the car. The timers work if I use the brick! The timer worked when I tried it last night on a public charge point.

They worked fine on the Leaf. I'm wondering if there is some sort of signalling that turns our chargemaster box off and the car can't restart it. It's an older 3 year old chargemaster/polar unit 16a. I would like the 32a unit and may look at swapping it out but as the grants are being phased out I wanted to avoid the cost if possible.

Any ideas?

·
9,719 Posts
Sounds like the controller might be going to sleep and not waking up properly, I believe some of the earlier controllers behave similarly with Amperas.

If you want 32a, you could just change the controller, contractor and RCD in your current unit, rather than getting a whole new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like the controller might be going to sleep and not waking up properly, I believe some of the earlier controllers behave similarly with Amperas.

If you want 32a, you could just change the controller, contractor and RCD in your current unit, rather than getting a whole new one.
Be careful, make sure the cable supplying the charger is able to carry the additional load! Also the fuse in your CU would probably need upgrading too.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Jack and @AdyB I thought as much with the switch. Anyone know who the installer is on here that "lurks" about? I may ask them. Doubt I will "upgrade it" as its only £350 to get a new Rolec unit and my brother is an Electrician. Although if it was cheap enough... Guess the biggest expense would be the new tethered gun/cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts