Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Can anyone in laman terms explain the difference between the save and charge mode ?
I mean like backed by long motorway driving and fuel consumption etc.
Trying to get the most miles out of this great big lump but it doesn't like motorways very much.....
Drinks like hell this thing when pushed to 80 and battery disappears is seconds..
Will save help a bit ? Or charge mode
? Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,102 Posts
I dont own an outlander, but assuming it's the same as other PHEVs I have owned, Save mode will hold your battery charge as much as possible meaning you drive exclusively on the engine keeping the battery charge more or less stable. You'd use this on the motorway then you have a dull battery when you arrive in a city so you can drive around there in electric only for example.

Charge mode would also use the engine more, but as well as propelling you, it also uses as much power as it can go add charge to the battery pack. Obviously not as clean or efficient as just plugging in.

All cars, EV or otherwise will plummet in terms of efficiency when you drive at speed. Your range falls with the increased resistance. If you want better results, slow down. At least stay within the speed limit and take it easy.

Whatever the normal, or eco driving mode is that you can pick in an outlander, stick with that. That's generally going to give you the best efficiency. Only opt to charge or hold with engine assistance when you specifically need to, as you'll end up paying even more in fuel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 80698.
Yes it's a boring car. The more I drive it the more I get the feeling like this is for 50 years old plus car. When you in your 35s you still want to have a bit of fun when possible for a minute or 5 every now and then.
I have tried both charge and save mode but
Can't really tell the difference at all same as normal and eco mode. The eco only remaps the acceleration pedal so it isn't really doing anything eco..... Same result when you gentle on the acceleration pedal so ..will need to do a proper test with the watch dog app to calculate the difference. Cheers.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,102 Posts
Thanks 80698.
Yes it's a boring car. The more I drive it the more I get the feeling like this is for 50 years old plus car. When you in your 35s you still want to have a bit of fun when possible for a minute or 5 every now and then.
I have tried both charge and save mode but
Can't really tell the difference at all same as normal and eco mode. The eco only remaps the acceleration pedal so it isn't really doing anything eco..... Same result when you gentle on the acceleration pedal so ..will need to do a proper test with the watch dog app to calculate the difference. Cheers.
That sounds about right. The normal and eco profiles generally won't do much different other than changing the accelerator response, and maybe dulling down the climate control output a little. This is how most vehicles are these days.

Charge/Hold should make some difference compared to normal though. They should make the engine work a bit harder and potentially make more use of regen as well to assist the battery charge.

Also I agree. I'm younger than you and couldn't think of many cars that are more boring and dull than the Outlander. Hopefully it doesn't put you off going full EV in the future because you can definitely have more fun in one, even one of the fairly basic, less powerful models thanks to the instant access to all the torque, faster response and faster acceleration. Some of the most fun I have had in a car is with a 2011 Peugeot iOn for example. One of the lowest powered EVs ever made! It's light weight and rear wheel drive nature make it great for some silent, sideways fun any time you come across a bit of snow and ice. They surprisingly handle really well and you can hold a drift basically forever in the thing! So really don't let this ruin your view of all plug-in vehicles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way dude ! :) Absolutely no chance to come off electrics. Just not the outlander. Waiting for cybertruck already ! The mid model with three motors not the top one as is too expensive. Tesla is the way to go in electric cars no doubt.
And yes I know there will be difference in save and charge from normal and eco but I was looking for different between charge against save in more detail.
Again I'll hook it up to watch dog and gather some data for a month and do some calculations and then share my results.
Cheers.

·
richi.uk
232 Posts
1. Outlander is a medium-sized SUV. Like all cars in that class, it has the aerodynamics of a brick. Drag is proportional to the square of your speed.

2. SAVE and CHRG do exactly the same, except for when they stop the engine. SAVE tries to keep the SoC roughly where it was when you pressed it. CHRG keeps going until around 80%. I tend to use them when cruising at 45+ mph, to ensure I have enough charge to complete my journey on EV, so keeping the pollution in the area of the motorway (assuming that people live near where I'm driving at the start and end of the route).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Richi.
I also think that charge works the engine bit harder according to dog .
Shows higher voltage being generated not only to keep the car going but also make enough to charge the battery as well .
Save only triggers the ICE when accelerating.
Still in the testing zone with dog :)
Take care .
Oh ! Do you know what the kick down switch does btw ?
Nobody knows the answer to that so far ....
Drives me crazy!!!!!

·
richi.uk
232 Posts
Oddly, that's been suggested several times, but every time we scratch the surface, it turns out to be a misunderstanding. It's possible that different model years or ECU firmware loads behave differently, but I've not found one yet.

Having said that, I should clarify that I'm talking about the behaviour in parallel mode (i.e., cruising above 40 mph). In series, it might well behave differently.

Kickdown switch will override speed limiter ('s' variants only).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Charge function does exactly that. Runs ICE constantly to charge engine.

Save function is used to top up the battery occasionally. For instance, if you charge fully at home, and start a long trip, and when you get to 80% battery and hit SAVE, the ICE will run intermittantly to keep the battery at that 80% level.

When you accellerate and your rev counter its the POWER area on the tacho, the ICE will kick in to give you more power to drive the motors. When the ICE is running it does not mean that it is driving the wheels. The majority of the time it is either charging the traction battery, or supplying extra current to the motors (parallel).

When the vehicle speed is high enough, the ICE can directly drive the wheel, however the driver has no control over when this happens.

Hope this helps

·
richi.uk
232 Posts
Forgive me, but that's not what parallel means. The generator is always creaming off spare torque, to feed the battery or motors. But above about 40 mph, the computer can close a clutch, allowing the engine to directly drive the front wheels—this is "parallel" mode.

(If it didn't drive the wheels directly, it wouldn't be a hybrid; it'd be a REx.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts