Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Ohme brings smart charging savings to every electric vehicle owner with free app

Ohme launches app that could save UK drivers up to £1,300 a year compared to using a petrol-powered car.

London, 20 January 2021: Ohme, the intelligent electric vehicle charging company, today launches a new app that enables anyone to control the costs of charging their electric vehicle (EV) from their smartphone, saving them hundreds of pounds a year compared to ‘dumb’ chargers.

The Ohme App is free and enables users to reduce how much they pay to charge their vehicle, manage their electricity usage, and choose the most environmentally-friendly time to charge. There is no need for additional hardware, the app connects directly to the car: users just download from the App Store or Google Play, sync with their vehicle, and start making savings from day one."

No need for an Ohme box to take advantage of Agile/Go Ev charging.
I hope this is useful

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,555 Posts
Not possible I thought. At least not possible on first-gen Leaf because their API doesn't have stop-charging feature.

Initially, the first release of the app will be launched to support Tesla vehicles, with Ohme rolling out to at least three other manufacturers in the coming weeks.
As always, Tesla gets the feature first because Tesla actually build and update supporting infrastructure around their EV's.

To be honest, if the API supports it. Any automation software can do this. I would have implemented this when I integrated my EV into Home Assistant. I looked at Nissan API and was disappointed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can someone explain to me how this is any different to the current smart cable I have for my home charger? The Ohme app picks the cheapest time to charge already because it knows when the cheapest hours are on Agile?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Another App, yet, many users continue to ask for basic functionality to be added to the original OHME cable App.
But many others would like the Ohme app to be much simpler ! It's attempts to "be kind to battery" are at best a waste of space or at worst positively harmful to battery. Trying to convert amount of charge needed to miles of range is pretty pointless - we don't call the range forecast on the dashboard a 'guessometer' lightly - and when it convets that back to charge needed it often as not gets it wrong.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,555 Posts
Can someone explain to me how this is any different to the current smart cable I have for my home charger? The Ohme app picks the cheapest time to charge already because it knows when the cheapest hours are on Agile?
The Ohme smart cable works with any car, it works by being the middleman between car and power source, telling the car when to charge through the cable.

This new Ohme app works by talking to the car web interface (known as API, application programming interface). Through that, it tells the car when to charge or stop charging. Key is having a compatible car. For example, first-gen Nissan Leaf will never be supported because its API doesn't support stop charging functionality.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Ohme smart cable works with any car, it works by being the middleman between car and power source, telling the car when to charge through the cable.

This new Ohme app works by talking to the car web interface (known as API, application programming interface). Through that, it tells the car when to charge or stop charging. Key is having a compatible car. For example, first-gen Nissan Leaf will never be supported because its API doesn't support stop charging functionality.
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I am very disappointed with the Nissan leaf's API. I was very excited when I got the Leaf and realised there was a public API to use, I've been using a library I found on Github for .net/C# - two things that were immediately apparent, it's unbelievably unreliable and limited.

Still, I was able to do what I wanted, a widget for my phone that displays the charge, if it's charging/plugged in - it's incredibly irritating that the bottleneck is the API itself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A smart wallbox or app cannot really be smart if it doesnt know the starting level of charge in the battery.

I have the Ohme but the app cant currently talk to my car's API, even though BMW Mini claim that trusted third parties can acess the car's status.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A smart wallbox or app cannot really be smart if it doesnt know the starting level of charge in the battery.

I have the Ohme but the app cant currently talk to my car's API, even though BMW Mini claim that trusted third parties can acess the car's status.
Does the Mini use a different app and API to say, an i3?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, I am very disappointed with the Nissan leaf's API. I was very excited when I got the Leaf and realised there was a public API to use, I've been using a library I found on Github for .net/C# - two things that were immediately apparent, it's unbelievably unreliable and limited.
Alternative telemetry solutions are available. OVMS is such a system.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does the Mini use a different app and API to say, an i3?
The Mini has its own app.

This site implies all BMW brands have a common standard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.