Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On their web site I noticed the following, so it seems there is big movement now to PAYG (thank goodness)

Charge your Car (North) Ltd, the operators of the Charge Your Car network have entered into a joint venture with Elektromotive Limited, one of the worlds' leading electric vehicle charge point infrastructure companies.

The new company will create a UK-wide pay-as-you-go network with a target of 10,000 charge points, up from the 400 plus currently in operation, located predominantly in the North East of England. It will also move from a mixed estate of subscription and pay-as-you-go charge points in to a recharging network that is 100% pay-as-you-go.

Reference - http://www.chargeyourcar.org.uk/indexx3.php#

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Re: Charge Your Car Network Moving to PAYG

yeh, I think most vendors appreciate PAYG is the future... personally, I can't wait to dump all these cards :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm reserving judgement until the cost per charge is clarified ... if it works out more expensive than charging at home I suspect that usage of the charging points will drop off.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
poz said:
I'm reserving judgement until the cost per charge is clarified ... if it works out more expensive than charging at home I suspect that usage of the charging points will drop off.
Well, in my opinion, I think it isn't a simple comparison like that.

Charging at home prices can vary enormously. For example, I now pay 6p/kWh and I know of others paying less than that. Before we went on to Econ7 we were paying 14p. Many pay more. So, assuming that I was not on Econ7 I would be paying about £1.75 per full charge on the Ampera. Does that mean that I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than that when charging away from home?

In my case I would be prepared to pay more. In fact, I don't compare charging costs when away from home with my charging costs at home. I look at what I would need to pay if I didn't charge and that means using petrol. So providing it is less than what it costs when using petrol I would be better off paying the charging fee.

I am getting about 50mpg at the moment on the Ampera. Which is convenient because I get just under 50 miles from a full charge so comparison of price is easy. A gallon of petrol costs about £6.50 at the moment so what would I be prepared to pay for charging? I think that £5 is a reasonable fee for a zero - full charge. The problem is two fold. Firstly, that full charge would take about 4 hours at 16A. Secondly, we don't always charge zero - full. We often top up before we get to zero so how would that be charged? A fixed fee wouldn't work. We would need to pay per kWh and at the moment, as the law stands, the reselling of electricity by the kWh is not permitted. How they handle this one will be interesting to see.

With the Nissan Leaf it is a lot easier to justify because we can fast charge in 45 mins zero to full and that then gets us about 80 miles so a £10 fee for a fast charge is not unreasonable but again, it is the times when it is not zero to full that the problems arise and with the Leaf it is NEVER zero or else you have stopped!

I think that the transition to PAYG will be a difficult road but I believe that these issues are temporary whilst we discover a way to do it that meets the EV drivers needs and makes it commercially viable for the network operators. We aren't there yet but it is definitely the right way to go.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Paul C

You've summed up the PAYG charging issue very well.

I guess it wouldn't be against the law to charge for the "charge time" and the post could stop charging when the car was "full". This way a top up would cost less than a full charge. What would be a reasonable cost per hour at 16A though? 50p? £1?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes, that might be a way around the current law but I suspect that the law will need to be changed long term to allow for reselling by the kWh... we'll see.

Personally, I would gladly pay up to what it would cost me on petrol only... say, £1 per hour of charging at 16A. Others may expect it cheaper than that but I see charging away from home as optional with the Ampera. So if it were cheaper than £1/hour @ 16A then if it were convenient I would charge otherwise I would simply run on petrol until I returned home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts