Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My etron came on Friday and I'm keen to use the hybrid feature as much as possible. The NHS trust I work for has 'free' charge points with Charge Your Car. Wprking out how to use the app was a nightmare but the thing I really can't work out is, does the £1.00 connection fee apply if I have the £20 card you can sign up for? Or does the app do the same job and the £1.00 is always applied?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,173 Posts
My etron came on Friday and I'm keen to use the hybrid feature as much as possible. The NHS trust I work for has 'free' charge points with Charge Your Car. Wprking out how to use the app was a nightmare but the thing I really can't work out is, does the £1.00 connection fee apply if I have the £20 card you can sign up for? Or does the app do the same job and the £1.00 is always applied?
The fee will always be charged IF the unit is online. Basically if it can be activated with the app then you'll be charged the fee with the card too. It'll just be billed on one monthly direct debit instead.

The card is useful for activating old CYC chargepoints that have been orphaned from the network and can't be used with the app now that they're offline without any support or maintenance contract in place.

Depending on what area you work in, it may be worth confirming with the property management team what the long term plan is for EV chargers before you spend £20 on a CYC card that may quickly become useless. Lots or NHS trusts are signing up with alternative networks like Electric Blue and Hubsta now, and ditching CYC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really helpful thank you, I'll just continue to use the app, £1.00 for 28ish miles is still more economic than petrol.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Depending on what area you work in, it may be worth confirming with the property management team what the long term plan is for EV chargers before you spend £20 on a CYC card that may quickly become useless. Lots or NHS trusts are signing up with alternative networks like Electric Blue and Hubsta now, and ditching CYC.
An excellent point.
For instance the whole of the old CYC network is Manchester is getting replaced with Be.EV | You're in charge

Reactions: jaysmith08

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
As CYC is networked with Polar, you might find that either Polar Instant would be more favourable rates, or Polar Plus depending on how often you plug in.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
As CYC is networked with Polar, you might find that either Polar Instant would be more favourable rates, or Polar Plus depending on how often you plug in.
Polar Instant doesn't work with CYC, you have to use their own app for that, which is cheaper at £1 connection rather than Polar's mininum spend anyways.

But Polar Plus may well be a good idea if using this charge post is a daily thing, as it would then reduce charging costs to ~£8 a month.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The minimum spend is largely irrelevant unless you are in the habit of taking on less than 5kWh whenever you stop to charge.
I assumed we were talking about the comparable AC Charge posts which are free to use on CYC but have a £1 connection fee. I've seen similar Polar AC points which have no cost for electricity, but are still subject to the minimum charge if you're using the Polar Instant app.

Polar isn't a big name around here and I tend to use other brands much more, but the few I have seen are all free to use minus the rapids. Is it common for Polar AC posts to have a per-kWh fee elsewhere in the UK?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ah OK. Never used a Polar AC post. Sorry for the confusion. The only time I have used an AC post away from home is a free one in a nearby shopping centre car park to offset parking charges if I am going to be a while. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was indeed excellent advice, at one of our other hospital sites the charge points are going to be with Hubsta.

The fee will always be charged IF the unit is online. Basically if it can be activated with the app then you'll be charged the fee with the card too. It'll just be billed on one monthly direct debit instead.

The card is useful for activating old CYC chargepoints that have been orphaned from the network and can't be used with the app now that they're offline without any support or maintenance contract in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts