Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm Rob from Eglinton (nr Derry), and I'm a n00b.馃榿
My current car is a KIA Optima Sportswagon PHEV, and ever since I bought it I've been wanting to go pure electric.
Paid for my interest in the ID.3 1st... not 100% sure about it yet, I need to see it in the metal!
Last winter I built an electric motorbike from a Chinese kit. It's marketed as an "ebike" (as in "bicycle") but it's much closer to a motorbike, as it has a twist throttle for example. It does have pedals, but not much chance of getting very far because it's far too heavy! Running it on 4x36v power tool batteries right now, but I'll be upgrading to a self-built battery pack soon.
Lots more to my story of course, but I can't blurt it all out at once!
Looking forward to some interactions with yous.
:cool:

Chartered Engineer
Going pure electric is a step most people don't retreat from! Depending on your regular commute and how often you need to travel long distance there are options ranging from the very cheap - second hand Lead 24kWh for a few 拢k's with say 50 miles round trip safe capability - up to very expensive - New P100D Model X at 拢150k ish which will pretty much cover anyone's needs.

A word of caution on some of the Chinese kits - the battery management and charging can vary from OK to hideously dangerous. I've seen one where the only control of charging was an inline resistor, needless to say we found this out when stripping the battery down to find out why it had burst into flames!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! Thanks for your expert advice.
Yes, the variety of EVs on offer is great, but the availability leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. I would love to replace my PHEV with another KIA, but if I wanted an e-Niro, for example... I don鈥檛 think waiting 12-18 months for delivery is an option for me. Actually, I鈥檓 not that keen on the e-Niro or the Soul EV, so brand loyalty is out of the window anyway! Then again, my first car was a 1970 Beetle, so going back to VW makes a lot of sense.

Indeed, I had to get creative with the ebike because the kit is supplied without a battery. I did lots of research and settled on a configuration which has no BMS: the 4 power tool batteries are connected as two series pairs running in parallel using a diy harness. To charge the pack, the 4 batteries must be separated and charged individually, negating the need for a BMS. The downside is that I have to remove the pack from the bike, and taking a side panel off is a bit of a pain.

Registered
Welcome

I've been thinking about building a sur ron type bike, it looks like a huge project that I don't think I'd have the skills for. I struggle to fix a puncture on my mountain bike.

I'd also like to buy a dual Tron scooter.

The new VW ID's look good. My concern with getting a new car is that you kind of have to stick with it for a couple of years otherwise you end up losing a lot on depreciation.
You could get a second hand Leaf 40 that's someone else has already taken the biggest hit on.

I've been driving electric for nearly a year now. I wouldn't go back to an ICE car as a daily driver, city car, electric is far superior.
I have got an MX 5 and a Land Rover that I like using for what they were made for.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

When I started the ebike project I was clueless about a lot of things, especially electric motors, batteries, wiring, etc. I also had to learn about suspension forks, truing wheels, disc brakes, you name it on the MTB side... perhaps a year of educating myself and trial and error before beginning the build?
For the amount of money you have to spend, unless you're prepared to put a lot of time into this sort of self-build project, it's best to buy ready-made or find someone who you can pay to do a custom job!

Electric scooters are still totally illegal, both on the road and on pavements. When I use my little M365, it's usually well away from traffic and if I ride on pavements, I give pedestrians priority. Most of my riding is actually on paths through a park for example, and if I have to cross a road, I always stop and walk across. People need to use these things sensibly to avoid spoiling it for the rest of us!

I understand your reservations. Sticking with the same car for several years is what I've done all my driving life, so that won't bother me... just have to make a choice I can live with. If I liked the Leaf, I would probably get one, but it's just not a nice looking car IMHO. A Zoe is more up my street, so I'm keeping an eye on used prices when the new model is released soon.

Nice! I Like the MX5, superb little cars on a track. Not done any off road in a car, but I do like doing that on the ebike.

Registered
I live in a quiet area, I could get away with scooting around the paths, parks and quiet streets. But those dual trons are expensive, I can really justify 拢2k+ for a toy that will hardly get used. With an electric enduro bike, you can go a lot more places and use it all year around in any weather.

I like the latest Leaf, it looks as good as any modern hatchback to me. I wouldn't buy the original Leaf.

Do you do many long distances or road trips? If you do, you'll have to rely purely on the public charging network, that is still being developed. If you do a lot of long distances, you may be better off spending your money on a second hand Tesla Model S, they can be picked up for as little as 拢30k. Charging is more reliable and much faster, you can road trip across most of the UK and Europe fairly easily.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The M365 was about 鈧300, and it's relatively light. I just use it to nip in and out from where I charge the car if I'm in town. Even a quick run to the shops is quite viable and much quicker than walking if it's just for a pint of milk or whatever.

I don't regularly cover long distances as I work from home, and although I do visit clients a lot, most of my trips are relatively local (less than 30 miles round trip), so I don't really need much range for daily use. We do use my estate for holidays because the missus drives a Range Rover Evoque, and that has very limited boot space!

Living in Northern Ireland: the public charging network isn't well-developed yet, but charging is still FREE at the moment. The Tesla network however, is nearly non-existent: 14 destination chargers (only ONE in my area) and ZERO superchargers. For the foreseeable future buying a Tesla is completely out of the question!

Registered
While Tesla might not have any rapid, you could use public rapids.
I have a Leaf30 and it's a good car for local journeys. We manage 1500 miles on an average with mostly home charging.
Having days that this will be my first and last Leaf. They are not made for long distance driving. If you need to rapid charge more than once you are stuffed.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Very good. I can鈥檛 afford one, unfortunately, but I definitely want to go pure EV when I sell my KIA plugin. I鈥檓 hoping the VW ID3 will be affordable when it becomes available!

Registered
While Tesla might not have any rapid, you could use public rapids.
I have a Leaf30 and it's a good car for local journeys. We manage 1500 miles on an average with mostly home charging.
Having days that this will be my first and last Leaf. They are not made for long distance driving. If you need to rapid charge more than once you are stuffed.

- Leaf 30 kWh

Registered
Have a leaf 20kwh. I like it's quirky styling and was disappointed to see the new design more vanilla. Haven't found anyone who knows why the new leaf is limited to 1 rapid charge per day (24 hours?) I have to stop more often but can keep going....
The Nissan garage salesman was a lot less knowledgable than I expected, still an ICEman really, I guess.

Registered
Have a leaf 20kwh. I like it's quirky styling and was disappointed to see the new design more vanilla. Haven't found anyone who knows why the new leaf is limited to 1 rapid charge per day (24 hours?) I have to stop more often but can keep going....
The Nissan garage salesman was a lot less knowledgable than I expected, still an ICEman really, I guess.
Non of the Leaf models are limited to one rapid per day however there is rate throttling if battery temperature hits 43 C

- Leaf 30 kWh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts