Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ChargedEV no longer have their own forum on here so I'm posting this here instead.

The smart + app now allows you to select the Octopus Agile tariff and says that it will charge at the cheapest Agile times whilst getting the car ready in time. I have tried this twice now. The first time it started charging at 1.6kW as soon as the car was plugged in. I unplugged and tried again later in the evening and it then appeared to work.

A couple of days ago I tried again with the ready time set at 9am. I plugged in at 8pm and it started charging immediately at full power even though the cheapest Agile period wasn't until around 3am and it was 13 hours until the car was needed (it could never take more than 6 hours for a full charge). I gave up and just set a timer on the car.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm finding that this charger is good for solar charging, but the rest of the smart features seem a bit pointless. The Agile integration would be good though if it was to work.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
ChargedEV no longer have their own forum on here so I'm posting this here instead.

The smart + app now allows you to select the Octopus Agile tariff and says that it will charge at the cheapest Agile times whilst getting the car ready in time. I have tried this twice now. The first time it started charging at 1.6kW as soon as the car was plugged in. I unplugged and tried again later in the evening and it then appeared to work.

A couple of days ago I tried again with the ready time set at 9am. I plugged in at 8pm and it started charging immediately at full power even though the cheapest Agile period wasn't until around 3am and it was 13 hours until the car was needed (it could never take more than 6 hours for a full charge). I gave up and just set a timer on the car.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm finding that this charger is good for solar charging, but the rest of the smart features seem a bit pointless. The Agile integration would be good though if it was to work.
It's been working great for me, is the vehicle battery size setup ok? might be worth dropping a note to support?

(Disclaimer: My company designs/makes the charger but does not provide the optimisation)

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been working great for me, is the vehicle battery size setup ok? might be worth dropping a note to support?

(Disclaimer: My company designs/makes the charger but does not provide the optimisation)

Thanks for the reply.

I have contacted customer services. The problem is that I have 2 cars. One charges at 3.6kW and the other at 6.6. The charge point has automatically identified that my maximum charge rate is 3.6kW and there is no way to change this. It will only reset if I charge 3 times in a row at 6.6kW.

The app has to assume that you want to charge from empty to full as it does not know the soc of the battery. In my case this meant it thought it needed to deliver 40kWh at 3.6kW within 12 hours so it started charging immediately. I actually needed about 20kWh at up to 6.6kW.

Basically it isn't really smart enough at the moment.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Biggest problem is that we don't get SOC back from the car so the algorithm has to guess how much energy you require. This requires a bit of learning.

Couple of ways around this....

1. If your car supports direct integration to Kaluza then you can enter the login details to the app and get SOC data. (see screenshot below)

2. You can work around the issue by changing the vehicle setting to one with a smaller capacity battery.

3. In the beta settings you can select 'show start charging time' (see screenshots)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biggest problem is that we don't get SOC back from the car so the algorithm has to guess how much energy you require. This requires a bit of learning.

Couple of ways around this....

1. If your car supports direct integration to Kaluza then you can enter the login details to the app and get SOC data. (see screenshot below)

2. You can work around the issue by changing the vehicle setting to one with a smaller capacity battery.

3. In the beta settings you can select 'show start charging time' (see screenshots)

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I didn't know about any of those features. Do you know which cars support integration with Kaluza and whether they plan to add more? The LEAF doesn't seem to be supported.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interested in this - does anyone know if Kia eNiro support integration with Kaluza for SOC?
I'm looking for a charger that factors in Solar PV and Octopus agile tariff - and so far I've only found the ChargedEV smart+ and the OpenEVSE (and I'm struggling to find an installer near Edinburgh who will install anything but their basic stock option).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Interested in this - does anyone know if Kia eNiro support integration with Kaluza for SOC?
I'm looking for a charger that factors in Solar PV and Octopus agile tariff - and so far I've only found the ChargedEV smart+ and the OpenEVSE (and I'm struggling to find an installer near Edinburgh who will install anything but their basic stock option).
Fairly sure it doesnt support the Niro right now, that said, unless you are getting through tons of energy each day and are needing to add more energy than the charger can deliver during the low price period (say 2300-0600) (e.g. long commute) the agile optimisation behaves quite well without it.

Here's 52.8kWh on a single charge with agile feed. averaged 7p/kWh.

The second blue bar in the evening shows how it reacts to price really well.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
681 Posts
I'm another interested party. I have two EVs (eTron and iPace) and Octopus Agile. It seems difficult if not impossible to find a home charging solution that integrates with both cars, knows which one is plugged in, what its current SOC is, and then automatically schedules the lowest cost charge profile to meet a desired SOC at a set time. Even doing that with one of the two would be a step forward.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Have you looked at the Zappi? It isn't perfect but the Niro charges with it and it is good with solar. They have just added a web based solution to use the cheapest agile hours. I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and it's performed perfectly selecting the cheapest agile half hours.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
681 Posts
Have you looked at the Zappi? It isn't perfect but the Niro charges with it and it is good with solar. They have just added a web based solution to use the cheapest agile hours. I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and it's performed perfectly selecting the cheapest agile half hours.
How does the Zappi know how much charge to put in? (ie. how may half-hour slots to book)?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You need to enter the amount you want to add, in kWh battery % or miles, on a Web based account.
It can either be add X miles/kWh on the selected days, or as I do add X kWh by 7am on a future date. I just select the next day.
There's also 'charge when below X pence per kWh'

It's still in beta at the moment but I don't think it's far from being on general release, I've found it very reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts