Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62Kwhr
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chargemaster Homecharge 30 amp unit which has performed perfectly for 6+ years. The only mod I have made is to run the type 1 socket through an adaptor to the type 2 on my new Leaf e+. The unit has tripped onto a red signal. To reset it requires a key, which I have mislaid. I have the reference number of the key. Chargemaster tell me that if I had a more recent unit which has a 3 digit key reference on the lock they could supply a replacement, but for this unit the factory "no longer has keys in stock". They can supply a second had swap unit for the princely sum of £539. I'd really rather pay a tenner for a new key. I've asked them to work a little harder on the problem, but any wisdom from all the brains on Speak EV would be very welcome.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
It may be possible to pick or brute force it. Some pictures of the 'obstruction' would help those of us with no knowledge of this particular unit.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,952 Posts
Just remove the unit from the wall, unscrew the front and jump the connection across the two pins on the circuit board that the key switch connects to. You clearly don't use the key anyway.....
Alternatively, as all that they are suggesting is turning it off and on again the same effect can be had at the Consumer unit.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62Kwhr
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62Kwhr
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remove the unit from the wall, unscrew the front and jump the connection across the two pins on the circuit board that the key switch connects to. You clearly don't use the key anyway.....
Alternatively, as all that they are suggesting is turning it off and on again the same effect can be had at the Consumer unit.
I think the key must do more than just turn it on and off. I've tried switching off and on again at the consumer unit. - didn't work. - but new key might be on the way.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I think the key must do more than just turn it on and off. I've tried switching off and on again at the consumer unit. - didn't work. - but new key might be on the way.

The key allows an OK signal to go thru. once this is sent thats it.
Shorting it will do the job as thats all the key does. Youd be surprised as they arent really secure units, just to deter people.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Chances are you can just replace the keyswitch, either with a similar one or a button if the key functionality isn't needed
as regards the "turn it off and on" method - try leaving it off for a minute or two if a brief powerdown doesn't help

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,679 Posts
Yeah, turn it off at the RCD and count to 10 before turning it on again. Should work.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62Kwhr
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Key now available I went through the power down routine, counting to 10 several times, but the unit always returned to red. Stopped to think, and read Mike's advice above. Whilst I wasn't looking, up came the amber light and I'm now plugged in happily charging. I haven't been looking forward to lashing out for a replacement at a cost which would negate most of my savings over an ice for a year or two - not that I would change back. Thanks for all the advice folks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts