Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

First post here and excited to say I am picking up my new Outlander Phev 4h this Saturday.

Now I have the reg I have applied for the free charge point offer

Chargemaster Plc - For Home

However, going into the details there are actually a couple of options for the unit to select (including some at a cost premium). Does anyone have any recommendations or pros and cons of the options? I'd quite like to know what I want before I speak to them.

The main options seem to be:
- 3.6kW or 7kW (3.6 seems fine as I understand the Outlander can't use the faster charge but if the option is free then I presume it would be worth it)
- Tethered cable or socket (leaning towards the tethered cable for ease of use and because I think I would need to buy an extra cable for the socket)
- Data enabled and key lock

It's the last option (which I think is around £95) which is confusing me the most. The lock isn't a big issue as we live in a cul de sac so unlikely someone is going to plug in for a sneaky charge. However, is the data enabling required to set the Outlander to charge overnight, or use any of the remote features of the car? The £95 also adds 3 years access to the Polar network which is a bonus (quite a few charge points nearby) but unlikely to be used extensively by us.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was my logic when I bought a new 2017 Outlander in December: 1) You're going to need to buy a cable anyway to charge the car at most polar or pod points (only the Chamedo fast chargers have cables attached at service stations) - so using one to attach to your house and throwing it in the boot if you are likely to charge away from home is not an issue or an additional cost. 2) paying a bit more for the 7kw means that the charger could also be used for a leaf or zoe - or probably the new mini clubman due next year - so if you think you may have a 2nd EV car or a visitor having the socket gives more options. 3) The cables are expensive - but EV Connectors seem to be very popular and I haven't had issues with mine. I went for a 5m cable based on where I park at home but wish I had gone for 6 or 7 metres when I have tried to connect in a multi-storey. 4) I was worried about the cable being stolen - but on the cable plug that goes into the car there is a small (4mm?) hole in the locking catch, above the release handle, that I put a small padlock into which prevents the cable being disconnected from the car...also polar points seem to lock the charger end of your cable into the pedestal. 5) I find that the EV timing and charge data available from my polar login is useful - but I don't recall if that was exclusive to the higher charge connector. I only got 3 months free polar access but I am paying the monthly fee to keep access to my account for stats, even though I don't regularly use a polar station as my work location has changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Derek - that's useful.

I've gone for the 7kW for the reason you laid out. It turns out that also signs you up for the data enabled point and the key lock. I had understood it also included 3 years access to the Polar network but that may be a different offer (outside the free Chargemaster point for Mitsubishi buyers).

I have however gone for the tethered option. I know it limits my choices for alternate cars but I've read a few threads about swapping out cables with an electrician and that looks viable if I need to do so in the future. Convenience is a big factor for us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went for a Rolec 7kW non-tehered point and it works very well and is more future-proof than the 3.6kW one (imho). As Derek Lewis says it is then handy for use at public charging points, which are becoming more available these days, but also busier!
I went for a 10m cable as I have a driveway that is 3 cars long but only 1 car wide, so sometimes the PHEV is further down the driveway and need the longer cable.
Here in Northern Ireland there is a decent network run by ecarsNI and it's all free at the moment and allows me to do fast charging on the motorways in the Republic of Ireland too. That uses the ChaDeMo socket but I also have the Type1 / Type2 cable in case the ChaDeMo is already in use.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Go for tethered. I wish I had done this every time I coil up my wet gritty cable (which is nearly every time at this time of year).(n) Your own cable can live in the boot until you need it away from home.(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts