Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently had a ChargeMaster 7KW charger fitted to my house, but I've been having issues.

Every second or third time I go to charge my car (Toyota Prius PHV) I have to reset the charger at the breaker box for it to start charging.

Is this normal? Or maybe there's something I'm doing wrong?

It's definitely covered under warranty if there is an issue, I just thought Id ask before going down that road!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
Doesn't sound right. Certainly worth giving them a call. If it is a smart unit they may be able to diagnose remotely.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you know when it actually trips? While charging, or even if nothing is plugged in?

Chargemaster initially put the wrong breaker in our install - it was a 20A breaker on a 32A charger - so it would trip while charging, but your issue sounds more likely a faulty charger or wiring if the car charges fine once the breaker is reset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely a fault - either with the car, cable or the charging unit. Is the cable undamaged?
Its all brand new looking still. Everything on it looks fine, I unroll the cable, plug it into my car and nothing happens! Only way I can wake it up and make it work is by turning it off and on again at the breaker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know when it actually trips? While charging, or even if nothing is plugged in?

Chargemaster initially put the wrong breaker in our install - it was a 20A breaker on a 32A charger - so it would trip while charging, but your issue sounds more likely a faulty charger or wiring if the car charges fine once the breaker is reset.
It's not actually tripping for me, sorry I should have been more clear in my original post.

The unit is showing a single yellow light, then when I plug it in and it's supposed to add a green one, it just... doesn't. When the car doesn't recognise that anything has been plugged in and it doesn't start charging. At that point I need to go into the house, turn the charger off, then turn it back on, and it begins charging. It's like the charger itself has had a software problem and needs bouncing to come back to life again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts