Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i was hoping someone can help. I have had my home charging chargemaster unit fitted over year ago by ChargedEV.
Since install the unit has never charged at the full rate. My E Golf should take 5 hours less to fully charge, however, its always taken 8/9 hours. I have tried another EV and the charging rate is the same, so definitely an issue with the unit.

when i had the unit installed I wasn’t given my smart log in details, so wasn’t sure if the charging rate was restricted and could be changed by the smart settings.

I have raised this with ChargedEV who raised with with Chargemaster. Both companies have been awful in resolving this. After many emails and calls to both companies, I still have not had this sorted.

Has anyone else had similar issues or got any potential fixes?

thanks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
Sounds like it's limited to 16A. Possibly deliberate if you only have a 60A main fuse in your house.
Check with your DNO (Domestic Network Operator) to see if you need a fuse upgrade.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
196 Posts
Hi,

i was hoping someone can help. I have had my home charging chargemaster unit fitted over year ago by ChargedEV.
Since install the unit has never charged at the full rate. My E Golf should take 5 hours less to fully charge, however, its always taken 8/9 hours. I have tried another EV and the charging rate is the same, so definitely an issue with the unit.

when i had the unit installed I wasn’t given my smart log in details, so wasn’t sure if the charging rate was restricted and could be changed by the smart settings.

I have raised this with ChargedEV who raised with with Chargemaster. Both companies have been awful in resolving this. After many emails and calls to both companies, I still have not had this sorted.

Has anyone else had similar issues or got any potential fixes?

thanks
Look at the original order for the point, what type of charger was specified? You may only have a 16A (3.6kW) charge point actually installed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely had a 7kw charger ordered. Also i had to pay Western Power who came out before my unit install to upgrade my main fuse to 100A (i think at the time).
Do you think its a smart setting issue or more hardware related? All i know is that both ChargedEV and chargemaster have been next to useless in resolving this.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,410 Posts
Is it tethered on not? If it's tethered there is a resistor in the circuit board that will determine the (current?). If the wrong rated resistor is there you'll get the wrong output.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I definitely had a 7kw charger ordered. Also i had to pay Western Power who came out before my unit install to upgrade my main fuse to 100A (i think at the time).
Do you think its a smart setting issue or more hardware related? All i know is that both ChargedEV and chargemaster have been next to useless in resolving this.
In that case, open the square junction box next to the charger. There should be a pushbutton on some twisted wires in there. That's the 16A/32A switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help so far.
Its a tethered unit, but not qualified enough to know if it has the right resistor in.
I have just opened up the junction box next to the unit, but couldn’t find any switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there was no switch on it, just a red plastic end. It’s pouring down now, otherwise would have gone back out to see if the end cap comes off.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Looks like a push switch - otherwise what would it be there for? See if it clicks

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you both. It was a switch, but with nothing written on it. I clicked it and put the car on charge. Can see straight away that’s fixed the problem. Thank you so much again for your help. I lived with slower charging for over a year, but recently had my smart meter installed from Octopus and can take advantage of the shorter charge windows.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
What is very annoying is the maker / installer do not know what they are doing, again! There seems to be a dire lack of technicians who know their products.

Reactions: EV81

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
183 Posts
What is very annoying is the maker / installer do not know what they are doing, again! There seems to be a dire lack of technicians who know their products.
To be fair looking at how it is packed in there I can imagine it accidentally getting clicked when closing up the system after testing it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
To be fair looking at how it is packed in there I can imagine it accidentally getting clicked when closing up the system after testing it.
Yes, if that choc-block connecting the live wires got pushed into the switch when the lid went on, that'd do it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Not a problem on install things happen. BUT the subsequent queries should have picked this up long ago

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After further communication with ChargedEV apparently it was deliberately set to 16A. I have a 100A single phase board and apparently at the time of testing it should the demand to be 80A and therefore not enough capacity to allow for 32A charging. Only thing am baffled about is how the demand showed as 80A. Also not sure how these things work, but at the time most things in the house would have been switched off. I have gas central heating and there is no electric shower in my house.

Also lmost 99% of my charging is done overnight, with almost everything else switched off. Do you think i would be ok to leave the 32A charge setting on?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Same applies, they could have told you this months ago, have they just found out? Its the same lack of customer care.

I have a 100A fuse, No electric heating or power showers, Electric Oven, Water, heating and cooking by gas. This is fine for 1 (probably 2) 32A units.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts