Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a tethered chargemaster unit for almost 3 years now and completed at least 1,000 charging cycles, we have a PHEV with a tiny battery so have to charge at least once a day, sometimes 3 times a day at weekends. It has been very reliable but starting last week problems started. It seems the car is recognising the cable it connected but the charging does not begin. I have reset the charger from the fusebox but that does not always seem to be the issue. Today I just had to plug it in and unplug it 3 times until it started charging, but I did not have to reset the fuse. Also, to check if there was a problem with the tethered cable I switched to the granny cable which we only used for the first week of ownership and that worked first time, which suggests a problem with the tethered cable. Do these chargers have a lifespan? Is 1,000 cycles considered to be a lot? Someone has recommended to me to use a WD-40 electrical connector cleaner. Anyone else had problems with their chargemaster box?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Chargemaster failed after two and a half years. Three year warranty. Replaced within a few days no quibble. Fitted and replaced by ChargedEV.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Mine is 4+ years old but untethered, I've had a cable fail though. I suspect you may have a failed cable or plug. If it starts working if you wiggle the cable or tap the plug, type 1 plugs are prone to micro switch failure btw, you know where the problem is.
If this was supplied and fitted using an OLEV grant then there is a 3 year warranty, ring them.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
As @Spiny
The product is designed for 10,000+ cycles so you have a defective one. If it was fitted using an OLEV grant start with the installer.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
552 Posts
I think there was a problem with some Chargemaster units having electrolytic capacitors installed the wrong way round up to about this time. If you are out of warranty I believe that @andyfras repaired his (and others?) and posted information on it. Do an advanced search on "capacitor" with "andyfras" as the member and you'll find the relevant threads.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Today I just had to plug it in and unplug it 3 times until it started charging ... Someone has recommended to me to use a WD-40 electrical connector cleaner.
I missed this on first reading. It would be a good idea to clean the contacts on the cable plug and socket in the car. The control signals might be intermittent. None of the contacts can be live when you can access them, due to the interlocks in the system.

I use a cotton bud and switch cleaner (or something like isopropyl alcohol) very infrequently. There can be a surprising amount of dirt / grease. I wouldn't use WD-40, which contains a lubricant, which I wouldn't want to be coating the contacts.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I missed this on first reading. It would be a good idea to clean the contacts on the cable plug and socket in the car. The control signals might be intermittent. None of the contacts can be live when you can access them, due to the interlocks in the system.

I use a cotton bud and switch cleaner (or something like isopropyl alcohol) very infrequently. There can be a surprising amount of dirt / grease. I wouldn't use WD-40, which contains a lubricant, which I wouldn't want to be coating the contacts.
The OP may be referring to an issue with the microswitches on Type 1 plugs which sometimes "stick" in the open/disconnect position as alluded to by @Spiny and the recommended solution is often to squirt WD40 into the lock release lever area to lubricate it.
type 1 plugs are prone to micro switch failure btw,

Reactions: cDy

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they were surprisingly responsive and will have someone out here to look at it monday morning.... knowing my luck it will be working fine then....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I use a cotton bud and switch cleaner (or something like isopropyl alcohol) very infrequently.
But be careful with IPA it really is very flammable (from someone who used it then ended up with one hand on fire).

·
Registered
552 Posts
IPA it really is very flammable
Very true. But some idiot had the idea of taking large quantities for flammable fluid, putting it in a tank in a carriage, and burning it in a machine with lots of moving parts and low efficiency to drive the carriage along:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very true. But some idiot had the idea of taking large quantities for flammable fluid, putting it in a tank in a carriage, and burning it in a machine with lots of moving parts and low efficiency to drive the carriage along:)
At the time it was an amazing idea because it was a huge improvement on the alternative, which was having the carriage pulled along by a horse.

You don't get much range out of a horse and the recharging times are awful, requiring horse-swapping facilities known as stables. Also the emissions aren't great, you don't just smell it, you step in it!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
You don't get much range out of a horse and the recharging times are awful, requiring horse-swapping facilities known as stables. Also the emissions aren't great, you don't just smell it, you step in it
Horses emit more CO2 than the average ICE per mile, so in a lot of ways are worse.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,605 Posts
I have had a tethered chargemaster unit for almost 3 years now and completed at least 1,000 charging cycles, we have a PHEV with a tiny battery so have to charge at least once a day, sometimes 3 times a day at weekends. It has been very reliable but starting last week problems started. It seems the car is recognising the cable it connected but the charging does not begin. I have reset the charger from the fusebox but that does not always seem to be the issue. Today I just had to plug it in and unplug it 3 times until it started charging, but I did not have to reset the fuse. Also, to check if there was a problem with the tethered cable I switched to the granny cable which we only used for the first week of ownership and that worked first time, which suggests a problem with the tethered cable. Do these chargers have a lifespan? Is 1,000 cycles considered to be a lot? Someone has recommended to me to use a WD-40 electrical connector cleaner. Anyone else had problems with their chargemaster box?
Clean the pins. Put a very small amount of WD40 on a cotton bud and it'll fit nicely in the gap between pin and plug and just work it in and out, and move around the pin to clean all sides. Don't push hard, you might have a big cotton bud! Just press in gently and all should be fine, it is up to you not to bend your pins with excessive force. You'll see a filthy grey appear. Keep doing that with cleaner buds until it is clean. Then just use a dry one (or two) to wipe off any remaining WD40, if there is any.

You will also likely find the plug is immediately easier to insert. Basically, a grinding paste develops with a lot of use, and eventually just grinds off the nickel (or silver) plate.

Reason I am proposing to do that (before anything else) is that if you use it a lot then a dirt layer builds on the pin (all the degraded metal) and it can eventually corrupt your communications connect.

If that has no effect, report back.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well they came and just decided to switch for a new one, presumbaly they can get the money off the government as its still under warranty. But this unit has a communications device in it. Why do they need to collect my data? Are they going to try to move to some kind of new business model where they lease the chargers or something like that, depending on how much electricity they deliver?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
Why do they need to collect my data?
AFAIK it is the government collecting the data for ULEV purposes. Although the whole aim of the game with smart meters (and I suppose smart chargers) is to transfer everyone to a time of use tariff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts