Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a copy of the installation manual for a chargemaster homecharge 7kW tethered unit?
I would like to specifically know the jumper settings for different outputs.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My installation sheet supplied by the engineer shows:
LK1 switch in position 3, 4.
LK1 jumper in position 6, 7

Hope this helps but I take no responsibility for the information supplied.

Steve.

I am having trouble getting my MGzs ev taking a scheduled charge, do you or anyone else have any info on how to set it up with a Chargemaster 7Kw wall charger. The garage assure me that the correct software is installed in the car.
Thanks.

Reactions: Ppytal

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Are those the jumper settings for 7kW though? I was hoping to reduce the output.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,841 Posts
Thanks,

Are those the jumper settings for 7kW though? I was hoping to reduce the output.
Mine (recently installed) has a pushbutton hidden in the junction box for switching between 16A & 32A output.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks,

Yes they are.
The app shows 3 different charging speeds Tortoise & Hare, can't remember the other one, so obviously software settable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My installation sheet supplied by the engineer shows:
LK1 switch in position 3, 4.
LK1 jumper in position 6, 7

Hope this helps but I take no responsibility for the information supplied.

Steve.

I am having trouble getting my MGzs ev taking a scheduled charge, do you or anyone else have any info on how to set it up with a Chargemaster 7Kw wall charger. The garage assure me that the correct software is installed in the car.
Thanks.
Hi Steve,

This has to be set through the car, the chargemaster chargers are fairly 'dumb' in that they don't have any software settable time settings(at least my older unit doesn't). I use the car settings on both our Zoe and Tesla to set a time to start charging and it works flawlessly with the unit for scheduled charging. I had a quick Google and the MG website states this feature is not available on the MG ZS, which is unfortunate but I guess a bit of 'you get what you paid for' i.e. a very good value EV but with limited functionality for things like this.

In other news I managed to downgrade my charger to 16A by removing the jumper from the 2 pins on the right of this pic.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just to be clear, removing the jumper (circled in red from your picture @Ppytal ) reduces the 32A chargemaster to a 16A max device? If so, that’s very helpful.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
629 Posts
A few years ago, I added a 3-way switch and a couple of resistors to the Type 2 connector in order to select 3 charge rates (13A, 20A, 32A) in order to make best use of our solar. it works by indicating to the car the maximum capacity of the cable. It works perfectly and can be changed while charging.

The 430R could be replaced with a 470R which is usually more available. The 220R resistor is already there. The 30A should read 32A. The photo of the plug is just in the tethered charger's parking slot for the sake of the photo.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
629 Posts
Assuming that you do not use the keylock, a way to quickly switch between 32A and 16A is to swap the keylock connector onto Lk2 and put the jumper onto the white keylock connector on the board. The keylock can then be used as a 16A/32A switch.

NOTE - Never put a jumper on Lk1 - it wipes the firmware!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with a Chargemaster unit. It is second hand unit, so far only used on my GTE, which could only take 16A. But I just got a Kia Soul EV, thinking that my unit is 32A capable. Sadly, when connected the car only draws 16A/3.7kW. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.
Here is what the unit looks like inside:

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
629 Posts
Yes, it is 32A capable, I can see the jumper on Lk2 and the resistor on the terminal block. If you have a meter, check the resistance between PP and PE at the plug end of the cable, it should be 220 ohms; if it's higher (~680 ohms), you've got a 16A cable attached.

Are the RCD and trip rated at least to 32A (40A normally)?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
Yes, it is 32A capable, I can see the jumper on Lk2 and the resistor on the terminal block. If you have a meter, check the resistance between PP and PE at the plug end of the cable, it should be 220 ohms; if it's higher (~680 ohms), you've got a 16A cable attached.

Are the RCD and trip rated at least to 32A (40A normally)?
Thanks! I have checked the resistance and it is playing a little but between 230 to 280ohms. Could be just my trembling hands though :coffee:.
The RCD is 32A.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
Was the Soul nearly fully charged when you tried it on the Chargemaster?
Close, probably charged from 80 to 90%. But that should not impact the charge rate on a slow charger like this.... Anyway the PodPoint was similar.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
629 Posts
It might throttle slightly, and perhaps driving to the PodPoint dropped the SOC sufficiently to charge at a higher rate.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts