Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't know why they bother with the subscription
It's because they want to drag you in with their silly loyalty bonus scheme. Get to drive a tesla if you spend even more money with them.. I got to drive a Tesla. I just asked Tesla for a test drive. I drove it, it's a nice car, that I can't afford. End of.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think they were always going to keep Polar Instant but are going to make you use the App instead of the RFID card if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
No more RFID cards for PAYG users though. If you don't subscribe then you're restricted to using the buggy, unreliable app.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm thinking of using my Polar Instant app (and credit) this evening in Cardiff, but I've got passengers and can't afford a cock-up. My last Chargemaster encounter was a nightmare :mad:, so can anyone reassure me that this might work? Is the app reliable now? 24 hour support? Also, do you pay for the amount of hours you are charging, or amount of hours you are plugged in? Any hints and tips?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Polar Instant (where the individual chargepoint is fee-charging) charges by the hour, you pay (pro-rated) number of hours your vehicle is plugged in, regardless of whether it is actually charging. I'm not sure if they round up to the nearest half hour or hour.
Their (android) app is no more reliable than when I last tried to use it. I tried to use it a few days ago to look up details of a post, I only had GPRS signal, and it kept timing out. (This leads me to believe that it pulls in the whole set of chargepoints into the app each and every time. This dataset is 638Kb.)
Check your own mobile network's coverage checker near the chargepoint in question - if it's less than 3G, I wouldn't rely on the app working.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's because they want to drag you in with their silly loyalty bonus scheme.
You'd be surprised. A driver who had been charging with us for free in Manchester for the last two years called us on Tuesday to say he was leaving and joining Polar instead as CM would 'give him a Tesla for a week' In his opinion £7.95 a month was 'nothing compared to the cost of hiring a Tesla for a week'

It's a draw for some!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You'd be surprised. A driver who had been charging with us for free in Manchester for the last two years called us on Tuesday to say he was leaving and joining Polar instead as CM would 'give him a Tesla for a week' In his opinion £7.95 a month was 'nothing compared to the cost of hiring a Tesla for a week'

It's a draw for some!
and he'd have to accumulate those polar points, where are only dispensed at random locations in random towns, and he'd need 70 qualifying charge sessions. Good luck to him playing that game. They don't have huge numbers of charge points near Manchester either.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You'd be surprised. A driver who had been charging with us for free in Manchester for the last two years called us on Tuesday to say he was leaving and joining Polar instead as CM would 'give him a Tesla for a week'
There's another thread going at the moment, entitled something like "Too Stupid to own an EV". Seems appropriate!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Polar Instant (where the individual chargepoint is fee-charging) charges by the hour, you pay (pro-rated) number of hours your vehicle is plugged in, regardless of whether it is actually charging. I'm not sure if they round up to the nearest half hour or hour.
Their (android) app is no more reliable than when I last tried to use it. I tried to use it a few days ago to look up details of a post, I only had GPRS signal, and it kept timing out. (This leads me to believe that it pulls in the whole set of chargepoints into the app each and every time. This dataset is 638Kb.)
Check your own mobile network's coverage checker near the chargepoint in question - if it's less than 3G, I wouldn't rely on the app working.
Well, predictable enough, my Chargemaster/Polar Instant experience was a dud. Fortunately I took the Outlander and not my preferred Leaf, so no consequences other than frustration and some more petrol burnt.

I called Polar and, after asking me for everything but my inside-leg measurement, finally answered my questions. They claim it is the charging time they 'charge for' not the plugged-in time. Anyway, got to the NCP garage on Greyfriars Road and no sign at the entrance to say where the chargers are. Luckily I found them quickly enough, two double-headed chargers. Amusingly, there own website and app map only list 1 x Type 2 and 1 x 13A sockets. Three ports show blue, one shows red. The red one is blocked by a t##t in a petrol Fiesta. So, I park and try my RFID card. Nothing. So I grit my teeth and try the Polar Instant app. Instant? Hmmm. I hit start the charge, wondering which if any port will open. There's limited 3G signal so I have to walk away to stick my phone out into the night sky. The app then goes into a big green countdown circle and after 10 minutes has reached about 71% and my passengers are looking at me darkly. I wonder if anybody has ever got a charge there?

Forget it. So, I move the car and we head off.

Oh compare and contrast to (say) using CYC chargers or SourceWest. Pa-thetic.

My mood was further soured by the t##t Fiesta driver's return. I told him (politely) he'd parked in an EV-only bay and the potential consequences for any EV driver who needed a charge. He made it very clear he couldn't care less.

On the positive side, Bill Bailey was amazing. The man's a comedy genius. His thrash rock version of 'Lady in Red' will live with me forever ...

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Chargemaster/POLAR - Rubbish. Try to avoid using them at all costs. I have £20 deposit just in case because that is better than a flatbed recovery if I am ever stuck but I will never plan to use a POLAR charger. I have been let down too many times.

Bill Bailey on the other hand - Superb. Comedy genius, fantastic entertainer, more than competent musician. Swa him in Plymouth. Love him!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Am I the only one here who hasn't had a bad experience with Chargemaster!

My current situation means I rely on 100% public charging and a nearby chargemaster post is the only one that works for me. I'd happily pay £8 per month (even though I've got the first 6 months free) for charging.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
@tictak I am glad you are finding it works for you but it sounds like you use the same post regularly. If you have a regular post you can use that remains working and is not regularly ICEd or broken then I can see how it might look like the POLAR service is good and reliable.

If you travel around needing to rely on POLAR for charging at unfamiliar locations then you might find you have a very different experience.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dude... If you want to talk send me a PM, it's quite unprofessional to act in the manner I think you are acting in when you don't know an individuals circumstances.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts